US drugs firm to buy chemist Boots

The Advertiser Series: Boots is set to fall into US ownership today when drugs firm Walgreens unveils a deal to buy the part of the business it does not already own. Boots is set to fall into US ownership today when drugs firm Walgreens unveils a deal to buy the part of the business it does not already own.

HIGH Street chemist Boots is to be bought up by US pharmacy Walgreens.

The board of Walgreens will now seek shareholder approval for the £9bn deal to go through.

Walgreens bought a 45 per cent stake in Alliance Boots in 2012, and now wants to buy the remaining 55 per cent stake.

It will reportedly bow to political pressure and remain headquartered in the US.

Boots brands such as No7 and Botanics are already sold in Walgreens and Duane Reade stores in the US, with the American firm's products introduced to Boots stores as part of the deal in 2012.

Alliance Boots traces its roots back to 1849 when John Boot opened his first store selling herbal remedies in Goose Gate, Nottingham. It opened its 1,000th store in 1933 followed by the No7 cosmetics range two years later.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree