Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting NORTHERN ECHO to 80360 or email us
Crews called to Darlington kitchen fire
10:07am Thursday 21st March 2013 in News
AN elderly lady was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in her kitchen.
Eight firefighters were called to Geneva Drive, in Darlington, at 7.40am today (Thursday, March 21).
A fire had started in an extractor fan.
Crews used breathing apparatus to gain access to the property and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke away.
Watch manager Glen Wharton, of Darlington fire station, said the extractor fan was damaged and will need to be replaced, but other damage was cosmetic.
Crews gave the lady oxygen and an ambulance was called as a precaution.
A tweet on the County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service’s Twitter feed said the householder was alerted to the incident by her smoke alarm.