Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting NORTHERN ECHO to 80360 or email us
Security warning for motorists in south Durham
11:26am Monday 16th September 2013 in News
POLICE are warning motorists they may face higher insurance premiums following a spate of thefts from vehicles in the south of the county.
They are being urged to be more vigilant about security after 23 incidents were reported between August 1 and September 12.
A laptop computer, a brief case, satellite navigation equipment, cash and car keys were among items stolen after they were left on view in vehicles that had been left unlocked.
Inspector Martin Peace, of Bishop Auckland police, said: “There are certain areas in the south of the county where residents seem complacent about vehicle security and have become victims as a result.
"These people not only risk pushing up their own insurance premiums but also those of other drivers in the area.
“County Durham continues to be one of the safest places in the country to live and work. Overall crime has fallen in the south of the county and we want that to continue, but if people leave items on show and within easy reach they risk becoming a victim of an opportunist thief.”
Police officers and PCSOs carrying out community patrols as part of Operation Hawkeye will be on the lookout for premises and vehicles that appear insecure.
“If an officer comes across an insecure vehicle containing items clearly on show and at risk of being stolen late at night or in the early hours of the morning, they will alert the owner which could mean a very early morning call for someone,” said Inspector Peace.
A number of arrests have been made and enquiries are ongoing.
Comments are closed on this article.