Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting NORTHERN ECHO to 80360 or email us
Darlington residents urged to have electric blankets tested
11:07am Tuesday 17th September 2013 in News
ELECTRIC blanket users in Darlington are urged to book a free electric blanket safety test ahead of the winter months.
Testing will take place on September 24 and 25, at charity Age UK’s base in Beaumont Street West.
The tests have been organised by Darlington Borough Council’s trading standards team, Age UK Darlington and County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service.
Fire officers will be on hand to give out home safety advice, with unsafe blankets disposed of and discounts offered on replacements.
Councillor Chris McEwan said: “This is a valuable service which saves lives. Testing is free for Darlington residents so ensure your own safety and help elderly loved ones and neighbours by booking an appointment to have your electric blankets checked.”
Advice on using an electric blanket safely includes:
• Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions;
• Regularly inspect your electric blanket for wear or damage;
• Never use an electric blanket with a waterbed;
• Never tuck an electric blanket under the mattress;
• Always switch off an electric blanket after use;
• Do not use an electric blanket if you are incontinent.
For more information, visit darlington.gov.uk/tradingstandards or call the Citizens Advice consumer service, on 08454-040-506.
Comments are closed on this article.