Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting NORTHERN ECHO to 80360 or email us
Darlington Chinese takeaway served Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order
A CHINESE takeaway that attempted to serve food despite having no electricity or hot water has been closed by environmental health officers.
Darlington Borough Council’s request to serve a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order on Peking Chef on Alverton Drive was granted by magistrates in Newton Aycliffe in County Durham today (Tuesday, October 29).
Yvonne Wood, prosecuting for the council, said environmental health officers had visited the takeaway last week following a complaint from an employee about poor hygiene at the premise.
The business had recently been taken over by a new owner, Hang Wu Xue, and when officers arrived, on October 24, they found bailiffs from Scottish Power were already at the scene and had disconnected the electricity supply.
“The previous owner had failed to pay the bill,” said Ms Wood. “The officers advised the owner the premises could not remain open without lighting and hot water.
“When they returned on October 25 they found the owner had set up a temporary electricity supply using a series of extension leads from an adjoining empty property.
“There was no running water and food was being prepared.”
Peking Chef will remain closed until environmental health officers are satisfied with its hygiene level.