Asda announces plans for 400-job superstore in Durham

The Advertiser Series: NEW STORE: Asda is proposing a new superstore in Durham NEW STORE: Asda is proposing a new superstore in Durham

A SUPERMARKET giant has revealed plans to open a new flagship store.

Asda has announced plans to build a major new store in the Dragonville area of Durham City.

The proposed 400-job store would be built on the former Mono Containers factory site on Dragon Lane, just yards from the existing Tesco Extra superstore.

The retailer today (TUES) said it would hold a public exhibition next week as the first step in a community consultation process ahead of a formal planning application being submitted to Durham County Council within the next few months.

Asda, which already operates a Living store at the Arnison Centre, is proposing to build a supermarket with a 45,000 sq ft sales area, slightly larger than the firm’s existing outlet at Stanley, along with petrol filling station and 365-space car park.

The company claims the completed development would create 400 new jobs for local people, a mixture of full-time and part-time posts, as well as an unspecified number of jobs during the construction phase.

It says it would also increase choice and competition for shoppers and regenerating what it describes as "a prominent, but long-neglected site".

Asda described the proposal as "a multi-million pound investment" which would provide "a major long-term boost to the economy of the area".

Philip Bartram, senior property communications manager with the company, said: "These plans have the potential to deliver not just a fresh and exciting new offer to local shoppers but a significant long-term economic boost to this part of the city.

"The creation of up to 400 new Asda jobs is set to make a huge difference to hundreds of local household budgets."

A public exhibition revealing details of the plans will be held at Laurel Avenue Community Centre, in Durham on Friday, January 10 from 10am to 4pm.

The company says it is keen to seek the views of the local community before submitting a planning application over the coming months and staff will be on hand to answer questions from the public.

Mr Bartram added: "It will not only help our prospective new customers, colleagues and neighbours in finding out more about the plans, it will help us too in understanding local views prior to finalising the planning application".

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:50pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Andyleigh says...

Just what is needed - not.
We have an Asda in Spennymoor and it is a soul-destroying place. I only go in 3 or 4 times a year and I usually start to lose the will to live half way round.
Just what is needed - not. We have an Asda in Spennymoor and it is a soul-destroying place. I only go in 3 or 4 times a year and I usually start to lose the will to live half way round. Andyleigh

5:20pm Tue 31 Dec 13

sefa says...

Andyleigh wrote:
Just what is needed - not.
We have an Asda in Spennymoor and it is a soul-destroying place. I only go in 3 or 4 times a year and I usually start to lose the will to live half way round.
Not sure what you're expecting when you go into a supermarket but walls filled with food and drink and whatever else they're flogging that week.

What are you expecting to see? :)
[quote][p][bold]Andyleigh[/bold] wrote: Just what is needed - not. We have an Asda in Spennymoor and it is a soul-destroying place. I only go in 3 or 4 times a year and I usually start to lose the will to live half way round.[/p][/quote]Not sure what you're expecting when you go into a supermarket but walls filled with food and drink and whatever else they're flogging that week. What are you expecting to see? :) sefa

5:38pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Voice-of-reality says...

I wonder, could Waitrose be persuaded to return to the city? So much more pleasant.
I wonder, could Waitrose be persuaded to return to the city? So much more pleasant. Voice-of-reality

5:53pm Tue 31 Dec 13

David Lacey says...

Waitrose left because we don't have enough people with big enough wallets who will pay for car parking when there is free parking out of town.
Waitrose left because we don't have enough people with big enough wallets who will pay for car parking when there is free parking out of town. David Lacey

6:06pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Voice-of-reality says...

I know - but I can hope. Mind you I never thought Durham needed 'the Gates' and 'the Prince Bishop' - and indeed, given the number of empty units, it doesn't. Happy New Year, David.
I know - but I can hope. Mind you I never thought Durham needed 'the Gates' and 'the Prince Bishop' - and indeed, given the number of empty units, it doesn't. Happy New Year, David. Voice-of-reality

6:43pm Tue 31 Dec 13

darloboss says...

if its anything like asda whinbush you have 4 rows of food and 6 of chrisps pop and sweets
if its anything like asda whinbush you have 4 rows of food and 6 of chrisps pop and sweets darloboss

6:54pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Durhamite1979 says...

Horse burger anyone?
Horse burger anyone? Durhamite1979

7:10pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Voice-of-reality says...

Would a horse get as far as Dragonville if it were travelling up from the city centre?
Would a horse get as far as Dragonville if it were travelling up from the city centre? Voice-of-reality

7:44pm Tue 31 Dec 13

sensible says...

ASDA might force Tesco petrol prices down too! Durham Tesco is always 2 or 3p a litre more than other Tesco stores!
ASDA might force Tesco petrol prices down too! Durham Tesco is always 2 or 3p a litre more than other Tesco stores! sensible

8:41am Wed 1 Jan 14

Billy173 says...

Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.
Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior. Billy173

8:54am Wed 1 Jan 14

George19 says...

Billy173 wrote:
Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.
Rubbish fuel info.
[quote][p][bold]Billy173[/bold] wrote: Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.[/p][/quote]Rubbish fuel info. George19

3:44pm Wed 1 Jan 14

David Lacey says...

If you visit the "Honest John" part of the Telegraph site you will see that the experts there DO recommend Shell petrol because it contains some beneficial additives.
If you visit the "Honest John" part of the Telegraph site you will see that the experts there DO recommend Shell petrol because it contains some beneficial additives. David Lacey

9:26am Thu 2 Jan 14

Jackaranda says...

George19 wrote:
Billy173 wrote:
Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.
Rubbish fuel info.
No it isn't, do some research!!
[quote][p][bold]George19[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Billy173[/bold] wrote: Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.[/p][/quote]Rubbish fuel info.[/p][/quote]No it isn't, do some research!! Jackaranda

10:32am Thu 2 Jan 14

smokin says...

Billy173 wrote:
Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.
totally agree with the comments about fuel we topped up with £10 and the car computer said 7 miles put £10 in at another garage and the computer said 35.5 miles so it may be cheap but expensive in the long run when I complained to asda md I was told I was the only one that had complained and that the pumps were working ok surprise surprise needless to say I bypass the supermarket for petrol now and would rather pay the extra 3p per ltr and get my monies worth
[quote][p][bold]Billy173[/bold] wrote: Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.[/p][/quote]totally agree with the comments about fuel we topped up with £10 and the car computer said 7 miles put £10 in at another garage and the computer said 35.5 miles so it may be cheap but expensive in the long run when I complained to asda md I was told I was the only one that had complained and that the pumps were working ok surprise surprise needless to say I bypass the supermarket for petrol now and would rather pay the extra 3p per ltr and get my monies worth smokin

4:28pm Thu 2 Jan 14

thetruththewholetruthandnothingbutthetruth says...

Billy173 wrote:
Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.
Total rubbish regarding fuel. It's all the same - it has to meet certain standards by law. Wherever you got your info from, it's incorrect.
[quote][p][bold]Billy173[/bold] wrote: Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.[/p][/quote]Total rubbish regarding fuel. It's all the same - it has to meet certain standards by law. Wherever you got your info from, it's incorrect. thetruththewholetruthandnothingbutthetruth

4:36pm Thu 2 Jan 14

roaduser98 says...

Durhamite1979 wrote:
Horse burger anyone?
Asda do sell DONKEY meat mixed with bit of FOX, its a chinese delicacy evidently? The last steak I got from Asda was from Australia so it may contain kangaroo.
[quote][p][bold]Durhamite1979[/bold] wrote: Horse burger anyone?[/p][/quote]Asda do sell DONKEY meat mixed with bit of FOX, its a chinese delicacy evidently? The last steak I got from Asda was from Australia so it may contain kangaroo. roaduser98

6:29pm Thu 2 Jan 14

spragger says...

Billy173 wrote:
Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.
Do you have some hard evidence for that?
As refineries often do cross trading between outlets
You cannot be sure of the sourcing of fuel due to these exchanges
[quote][p][bold]Billy173[/bold] wrote: Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.[/p][/quote]Do you have some hard evidence for that? As refineries often do cross trading between outlets You cannot be sure of the sourcing of fuel due to these exchanges spragger

7:04pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Steve B. Durham says...

Years ago I used to use supermarket petrol, until a petrol tanker driver told me that this has fewer additives that protect the valves from sooting up. A local fleet operator had such a problem even with relatively new cars. The petrol comes from wherever in bulk and each distributor adds there own additives. You pays your money.
Years ago I used to use supermarket petrol, until a petrol tanker driver told me that this has fewer additives that protect the valves from sooting up. A local fleet operator had such a problem even with relatively new cars. The petrol comes from wherever in bulk and each distributor adds there own additives. You pays your money. Steve B. Durham

8:40pm Thu 2 Jan 14

gavshaw62 says...

one good thing is the prospects of 400 jobs to the area. would like to see how many people actually apply for the posts
one good thing is the prospects of 400 jobs to the area. would like to see how many people actually apply for the posts gavshaw62

9:27pm Thu 2 Jan 14

sineater says...

When Wilkinsons opened,the applicants waiting for application forms, were right round the shopping centre and out the door,for about 70 jobs,so at Asda,there should be several hundred at least.
When Wilkinsons opened,the applicants waiting for application forms, were right round the shopping centre and out the door,for about 70 jobs,so at Asda,there should be several hundred at least. sineater

9:29am Fri 3 Jan 14

gavshaw62 says...

voice of reality 3 days into the new year and someone brings out the Bulgarian and Romanian excuses already. the only way these people get the jobs is they are willing to work for the minimum wage and work hard whereas a lot of brits are used to living off the state. in an ideal world if most brits who were unemployed over the last 10 years had bothered to look for work then companies would not have had to employ people from eastern Europe. then we wouldn't have the problem of mass migration
voice of reality 3 days into the new year and someone brings out the Bulgarian and Romanian excuses already. the only way these people get the jobs is they are willing to work for the minimum wage and work hard whereas a lot of brits are used to living off the state. in an ideal world if most brits who were unemployed over the last 10 years had bothered to look for work then companies would not have had to employ people from eastern Europe. then we wouldn't have the problem of mass migration gavshaw62

11:34am Fri 3 Jan 14

SteveToon says...

Personally, I'm disappointed. I was hoping that that site would be used for a multiplex cinema and maybe a Maccy D's! Do we really need another supermarket when we already have Tesco, Aldi, Iceland, Home Bargains etc. ?? + I've heard that the farmer's field, across the road, has been earmarked for another large housing estate reaching all the way down to the motorway. The local roads are congested enough already!
Personally, I'm disappointed. I was hoping that that site would be used for a multiplex cinema and maybe a Maccy D's! Do we really need another supermarket when we already have Tesco, Aldi, Iceland, Home Bargains etc. ?? + I've heard that the farmer's field, across the road, has been earmarked for another large housing estate reaching all the way down to the motorway. The local roads are congested enough already! SteveToon

5:18pm Fri 3 Jan 14

cushybutterfield says...

Boring yet another robotic Supermarket and frenzy car parks. Can we not create 'proper industry now' in this Country, like 'engineering and electronics' and create jobs for young apprentices, for those young people who want to work. As regards immigrants, many of the long term unemployed 'young english locals' in Peterborough refuse point blank to work in agriculture and any other job, prefer to sit on their butts at home playing on their Computer Games, They shy away from and are afraid of sheer old fashioned honest graft and getting a bad-back. Hence your migrants willing to graft, albeit it is on a minumum legal agreed national wage......So what?.
Boring yet another robotic Supermarket and frenzy car parks. Can we not create 'proper industry now' in this Country, like 'engineering and electronics' and create jobs for young apprentices, for those young people who want to work. As regards immigrants, many of the long term unemployed 'young english locals' in Peterborough refuse point blank to work in agriculture and any other job, prefer to sit on their butts at home playing on their Computer Games, They shy away from and are afraid of sheer old fashioned honest graft and getting a bad-back. Hence your migrants willing to graft, albeit it is on a minumum legal agreed national wage......So what?. cushybutterfield

12:20pm Sun 5 Jan 14

S208 says...

smokin wrote:
Billy173 wrote:
Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.
totally agree with the comments about fuel we topped up with £10 and the car computer said 7 miles put £10 in at another garage and the computer said 35.5 miles so it may be cheap but expensive in the long run when I complained to asda md I was told I was the only one that had complained and that the pumps were working ok surprise surprise needless to say I bypass the supermarket for petrol now and would rather pay the extra 3p per ltr and get my monies worth
Huh?!?! The issue there isn't the fuel, it's the gauge in the car.

Your car isn't bright enough to start scanning the liquid in its tank for additives or whatever else and base it's estimation on remaining mileage on that! It's solely on volume.
[quote][p][bold]smokin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Billy173[/bold] wrote: Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.[/p][/quote]totally agree with the comments about fuel we topped up with £10 and the car computer said 7 miles put £10 in at another garage and the computer said 35.5 miles so it may be cheap but expensive in the long run when I complained to asda md I was told I was the only one that had complained and that the pumps were working ok surprise surprise needless to say I bypass the supermarket for petrol now and would rather pay the extra 3p per ltr and get my monies worth[/p][/quote]Huh?!?! The issue there isn't the fuel, it's the gauge in the car. Your car isn't bright enough to start scanning the liquid in its tank for additives or whatever else and base it's estimation on remaining mileage on that! It's solely on volume. S208

5:27pm Sun 5 Jan 14

cushybutterfield says...

gavshaw62...........
is spot on, all this claptrap regarding Britains not working because of a minumum wage, with a sizable minority of British workshy the pure fact is they 'Will ****just NOT work', they refuse to carry out work of anykind because most have a cushy life, sitting on their butts at home (Housing also paid for by the working British Taxpayer), living off the working 'Taxpayers Benefit and Welfare, Social Services etc' provisions. At the end of the day many immigrants already here will graft and work their guts out whilst many British will complain automatically (brainwashed unionism) of not being paid enough a 'bad back' bending down after two minutes of supposed work. We have all seen it all before for years on end throughout Britain.............
.just pure pig idleness with some British.
gavshaw62........... is spot on, all this claptrap regarding Britains not working because of a minumum wage, with a sizable minority of British workshy the pure fact is they 'Will ****just NOT work', they refuse to carry out work of anykind because most have a cushy life, sitting on their butts at home (Housing also paid for by the working British Taxpayer), living off the working 'Taxpayers Benefit and Welfare, Social Services etc' provisions. At the end of the day many immigrants already here will graft and work their guts out whilst many British will complain automatically (brainwashed unionism) of not being paid enough a 'bad back' bending down after two minutes of supposed work. We have all seen it all before for years on end throughout Britain............. .just pure pig idleness with some British. cushybutterfield

11:12pm Mon 6 Jan 14

tomtopper says...

thetruththewholetrut
handnothingbutthetru
th
wrote:
Billy173 wrote:
Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.
Total rubbish regarding fuel. It's all the same - it has to meet certain standards by law. Wherever you got your info from, it's incorrect.
Billy173 is correct and I'm afraid you're wrong.. I've experienced problems myself with fuel rail issues in cold weather and was reliably informed by the RAC that the supermarket fuel (ok but cruder than,say, shell) is indeed prone to very minor 'waxing' in cold weather .. Not noticeable on older vehicles, but problematic in newer vehicles with finer tolerance fuel rails.. An increasingly common occourence which is remedied by using Shell fuel during cold snaps ...
[quote][p][bold]thetruththewholetrut handnothingbutthetru th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Billy173[/bold] wrote: Durham could do with a Morrisons supermarket, as for waitrose they are a bit too expensive for the average man in the street. And also the petrol price war at supermarkets doesn't bother me because ever since supermarket fuel damaged my fuel filter on my car I now use Shell fuel, which according to experts, is better for your car. I got told off professionals in the motor trade, if you want to use supermarket fuel we would advise you to use a mix of 50/50 supermarket fuel and a reputable fuel supplier because supermarket fuel is inferior.[/p][/quote]Total rubbish regarding fuel. It's all the same - it has to meet certain standards by law. Wherever you got your info from, it's incorrect.[/p][/quote]Billy173 is correct and I'm afraid you're wrong.. I've experienced problems myself with fuel rail issues in cold weather and was reliably informed by the RAC that the supermarket fuel (ok but cruder than,say, shell) is indeed prone to very minor 'waxing' in cold weather .. Not noticeable on older vehicles, but problematic in newer vehicles with finer tolerance fuel rails.. An increasingly common occourence which is remedied by using Shell fuel during cold snaps ... tomtopper

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree