Medomsley Detention Centre sex abuse victim claims authorities must have known

The Advertiser Series: John McCabe John McCabe

DETECTIVES last night confirmed they are investigating claims of a cover-up of abuse at a notorious North-East detention centre.

More than 140 people have contacted police with allegations of physical and sexual abuse at the Medomsley Detention Centre, near Consett, during the late 1970s and early 1980s.

The centre first made national headlines in 2003 when Neville Husband, an officer at Medomsley, was sentenced to ten years in jail for systematically raping several teenagers.

One of Husband's victims, John McCabe, has claimed that he believes the abuse was covered-up.

Mr McCabe, who is now 48, has waived his right to anonymity, to speak of his horrific ordeal as a 17-year-old.

He said: “Within weeks of arriving at Medomsley (and the abuse starting) I was upgraded to the status of a most-trusted trainee, despite being a known flight risk. And Husband was the only person allowed to take me off the premises.”

Detective Superintendent Paul Goundry, who is leading the inquiry, codenamed Operation Seabrook, confirmed: “There are claims that there was cover-up that went right to the top and that Husband couldn’t have continued the abuse without others either turning a blind eye or helping.

“How far up it went, and whether or not people turned a blind eye and were complicit in it, is a clear line of inquiry for this investigation.”

After serving his sentence, Husband, a disgraced United Reformed Minister, died of natural causes at his home in nearby Snows Green, Shotley Bridge, in 2010.

His friend,  storeman Leslie Johnson, was jailed for six year for similar offences. He too has died.

Police renewed their investigation after a meeting with Mr McCabe’s MP last August.

It has since become the largest inquiry of its kind, with about 80 officers involved, along with a support network – including Rape Crisis, The Meadows Sexual Assault Referral Centre and the NSPCC.

Det Supt Goundry said about half of the new victims alleged physical abuse “far beyond what was meant by a short, sharp shock intended”, while the remainder claimed sexual abuse - the bulk of whom said they had been been abused by Husband.

He added: “Every victim we have spoken to has a story to tell that is quite frankly horrendous – not only in terms of the details of the abuse, but the effect it has had on them since they were in Medomsley."

Det Supt Goundry said the investigation will move from evidence gathering to interviewing potential offenders by spring.

Former governor Tim Newell, who was in charge at Medomsley for part of the time the original abuse took place, has given a statement to BBC documentary Inside Out in which he says he was “very sad about the pain brought about by his staff”.

He adds: “If I had any suspicions about sexual abuse of any kind I would have taken action. If staff knew about the abuse taking place I am very concerned they let the abuse continue.”

Durham's chief constable, Mike Barton, pledged that all the allegations would be thoroughly investigated.  "We are pleased so many people have come forward and trusted us with their accounts of what happened to them all that time ago," he said.

"It’s absolutely vital that all my staff who investigate allegations of sexual abuse treat victims sympthetically and provide them with the necessary support, and strive to bring  offenders to book.

* Inside Out will be broadcast on BBC One at 7.30pm tonight.

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:10pm Mon 27 Jan 14

theBretwalda says...

"authority's must have known"? Did the Saturday Boy write the headline for this article?

Desperately poor copy from an otherwise quality newspaper!
"authority's must have known"? Did the Saturday Boy write the headline for this article? Desperately poor copy from an otherwise quality newspaper! theBretwalda
  • Score: 0

10:41pm Mon 27 Jan 14

mick6200 says...

they also need to investigate kirklevington which I was locked up there in the 80s I was beaten twice in one night at 15 years of age
they also need to investigate kirklevington which I was locked up there in the 80s I was beaten twice in one night at 15 years of age mick6200
  • Score: 2

2:17pm Tue 11 Feb 14

johnpb39 says...

mick6200 wrote:
they also need to investigate kirklevington which I was locked up there in the 80s I was beaten twice in one night at 15 years of age
yes mick kirklev should be investigated was there in 76 the physical and mental abuse from the liberty taking screws was horrendous john
[quote][p][bold]mick6200[/bold] wrote: they also need to investigate kirklevington which I was locked up there in the 80s I was beaten twice in one night at 15 years of age[/p][/quote]yes mick kirklev should be investigated was there in 76 the physical and mental abuse from the liberty taking screws was horrendous john johnpb39
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree