Thieves used large map to distract 90-year-old woman while they stole her purse

The Advertiser Series: Police would like to speak to these two men shown exiting the Morrison's in Darlington, North Road Police would like to speak to these two men shown exiting the Morrison's in Darlington, North Road

A 90-YEAR-OLD woman had her purse snatched by two men who asked for directions and used a large map to hide their thieving.

The pensioner was preparing to get into a taxi at the rear of the Morrison’s on North Road, Darlington, when the men approached and spread the map over her shopping trolley which also contained her handbag.

They asked the taxi driver for directions but while the map was spread over the woman’s handbag, one of the men reached inside it and stole her purse.

A man who witnessed the incident while he was waiting for his partner in the car park gave chase, but the thieves escaped on foot in the direction of Denmark Street.

Police were called to the scene at 5.50pm on Monday evening and were then approached by another woman who said her purse had also been stolen.

Detective Inspector Wendy Tinkler of Darlington CID said it was possible that the two incidents were linked and that the suspects who stole the elderly woman’s bag were believed to be of Eastern European origin.

She urged the public to be vigilant against such thefts and said: “Particularly in shopping scenarios where perhaps people are more concerned with looking at what they are interested in buying, people should still try to be aware of the safety and security of the items inside their handbags and make sure their handbags are secure.

“These are opportunistic thieves who are more likely to look at people who have got their attention focused elsewhere.”

CCTV images of the suspects in the map distraction theft have been released and anyone who has any information that can help the police should contact them on 101.

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:08pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Jackaranda says...

Are these the same people who were welcomed personally into this country by Vince Cable?
Are these the same people who were welcomed personally into this country by Vince Cable? Jackaranda
  • Score: 54

4:39pm Wed 9 Apr 14

GeordieB says...

It's very straight forward. No matter if they're EU or non-EU Eastern Europeans, they need to be caught, imprisoned. At thens of their sentence, deported and banned from the UK for life.

I'm sick of Government of all political colours just rolling over and lying down on this type of thing.
It's very straight forward. No matter if they're EU or non-EU Eastern Europeans, they need to be caught, imprisoned. At thens of their sentence, deported and banned from the UK for life. I'm sick of Government of all political colours just rolling over and lying down on this type of thing. GeordieB
  • Score: 65

6:18pm Wed 9 Apr 14

behonest says...

Eastern Europeans stealing from a 90 year-old woman? No surely not.

And to suggest such a thing is clearly a 'racially aggravated' and 'racist' 'hate crime' is it not?

UKIP should not be allowed to tell the truth on these issues, they should be made to lie - just like the main parties.
Eastern Europeans stealing from a 90 year-old woman? No surely not. And to suggest such a thing is clearly a 'racially aggravated' and 'racist' 'hate crime' is it not? UKIP should not be allowed to tell the truth on these issues, they should be made to lie - just like the main parties. behonest
  • Score: 29

6:47pm Wed 9 Apr 14

JJ2000 says...

A guy tries to walk out of the same Morrisons with some stolen items a few weeks ago and is immediately apprehended.
Yet 2 Blokes rob an old lady, but walk out unchallenged?
I can't help but feel that if they'd picked up a magazine on the way out without paying they'd soon be pinned down by the guards.
I so hope I'm wrong, but it seems to be a typical retailers 'Got nuffin to do wiv me gov.' stance.
A guy tries to walk out of the same Morrisons with some stolen items a few weeks ago and is immediately apprehended. Yet 2 Blokes rob an old lady, but walk out unchallenged? I can't help but feel that if they'd picked up a magazine on the way out without paying they'd soon be pinned down by the guards. I so hope I'm wrong, but it seems to be a typical retailers 'Got nuffin to do wiv me gov.' stance. JJ2000
  • Score: 6

7:46pm Wed 9 Apr 14

DONNY07 says...

This lady was not in the store when she was robbed .She was outside waiting to put her shopping into the boot of the taxi when these two men approached her and the taxi driver for directions putting the map over the trolley to disguise what they were doing.
This lady was not in the store when she was robbed .She was outside waiting to put her shopping into the boot of the taxi when these two men approached her and the taxi driver for directions putting the map over the trolley to disguise what they were doing. DONNY07
  • Score: 19

8:45pm Wed 9 Apr 14

oliviaden6 says...

Jackaranda wrote:
Are these the same people who were welcomed personally into this country by Vince Cable?
Can only agree, looks like that's what Vince Cable is all about the lady in question should ask him to reimburse her for her lose and trouble.
He (Vince) should stop trying to convince us and wake up and smell the coffee England is becoming a sheltered haven for war criminals and all sorts of bandits from EUROPE. what did our ancestors lay down their lives for then and are still doing now disgusting listen to the populace?
[quote][p][bold]Jackaranda[/bold] wrote: Are these the same people who were welcomed personally into this country by Vince Cable?[/p][/quote]Can only agree, looks like that's what Vince Cable is all about the lady in question should ask him to reimburse her for her lose and trouble. He (Vince) should stop trying to convince us and wake up and smell the coffee England is becoming a sheltered haven for war criminals and all sorts of bandits from EUROPE. what did our ancestors lay down their lives for then and are still doing now disgusting listen to the populace? oliviaden6
  • Score: 21

8:51pm Wed 9 Apr 14

punkrocker says...

further evidence of cultural enrichment. wheres winstanley to defend these folks.
further evidence of cultural enrichment. wheres winstanley to defend these folks. punkrocker
  • Score: 10

9:19pm Wed 9 Apr 14

gemma carney says...

My grans mobile was stolen from her whilst in this store 3 weeks ago when she went to reception they were not at all interested she also asked for them to have a look at the cctv in Wich their reply was unfortunately we can not do so !!
My grans mobile was stolen from her whilst in this store 3 weeks ago when she went to reception they were not at all interested she also asked for them to have a look at the cctv in Wich their reply was unfortunately we can not do so !! gemma carney
  • Score: 20

9:52pm Wed 9 Apr 14

rabennison says...

So 2 people of possible eastern european descent snatch a handbag and out come the idiots with there anti immigration and pro UKIP comments. Sometimes I wonder how people get on in everyday life with this type of knee jerk reaction!
So 2 people of possible eastern european descent snatch a handbag and out come the idiots with there anti immigration and pro UKIP comments. Sometimes I wonder how people get on in everyday life with this type of knee jerk reaction! rabennison
  • Score: -51

10:14pm Wed 9 Apr 14

behonest says...

rabennison wrote:
So 2 people of possible eastern european descent snatch a handbag and out come the idiots with there anti immigration and pro UKIP comments. Sometimes I wonder how people get on in everyday life with this type of knee jerk reaction!
How often is it reported that local people mug a 90 year-old lady? Never?
When a couple of Eastern European sub-humans do so, and local people object to it, some lunatic leftie cries 'racism'!
[quote][p][bold]rabennison[/bold] wrote: So 2 people of possible eastern european descent snatch a handbag and out come the idiots with there anti immigration and pro UKIP comments. Sometimes I wonder how people get on in everyday life with this type of knee jerk reaction![/p][/quote]How often is it reported that local people mug a 90 year-old lady? Never? When a couple of Eastern European sub-humans do so, and local people object to it, some lunatic leftie cries 'racism'! behonest
  • Score: 31

11:19pm Wed 9 Apr 14

rabennison says...

I can recount plenty of stories of the elderly been robbed. Very sadly it happens all too often and has happened to people who I know in Darlington, the surrounding area and across the country. There are streams of stories from across the country everyday and a simple search would of shown you this. If you read my post I never used the term racism. I try to choose my words wisely. What I did try and imply is that it is sad that an awful thing such as this happens to an elderly lady and people jump on a bandwagon or use it to support there own beliefs instead of messages of support for the poor lady. Labeling an entire group of people in a country and ostracizing them because of the appalling acts of individuals is exactly the type of behaviour this country once stood up against. My thoughts go out to the lady and I hope the perpetrators are caught swiftly.
I can recount plenty of stories of the elderly been robbed. Very sadly it happens all too often and has happened to people who I know in Darlington, the surrounding area and across the country. There are streams of stories from across the country everyday and a simple search would of shown you this. If you read my post I never used the term racism. I try to choose my words wisely. What I did try and imply is that it is sad that an awful thing such as this happens to an elderly lady and people jump on a bandwagon or use it to support there own beliefs instead of messages of support for the poor lady. Labeling an entire group of people in a country and ostracizing them because of the appalling acts of individuals is exactly the type of behaviour this country once stood up against. My thoughts go out to the lady and I hope the perpetrators are caught swiftly. rabennison
  • Score: 18

8:37am Thu 10 Apr 14

abdarlouk says...

Well everybody knows that nobody British has ever committed a crime in Britain. That all crime committed in this country is committed by foreigners. And that British people have never committed a crime while out of the country.

Look at me Ma, I'm a racist! Get rid of all the foreigners and Timpsons will go out of business as nobody will need to lock their doors.
Well everybody knows that nobody British has ever committed a crime in Britain. That all crime committed in this country is committed by foreigners. And that British people have never committed a crime while out of the country. Look at me Ma, I'm a racist! Get rid of all the foreigners and Timpsons will go out of business as nobody will need to lock their doors. abdarlouk
  • Score: -16

11:48am Thu 10 Apr 14

Darkroom Devil says...

How do we know where they are from? I thought they hadn't been caught yet.
How do we know where they are from? I thought they hadn't been caught yet. Darkroom Devil
  • Score: -2

12:34pm Thu 10 Apr 14

behonest says...

rabennison says...
"Labeling an entire group of people in a country and ostracizing them because of the appalling acts of individuals is exactly the type of behaviour this country once stood up against."

Nice try, but attempting to bring Nazi's into this fools no-one. Particularly as no-one on this thread has labelled and ostracised any entire group of people.
rabennison says... "Labeling an entire group of people in a country and ostracizing them because of the appalling acts of individuals is exactly the type of behaviour this country once stood up against." Nice try, but attempting to bring Nazi's into this fools no-one. Particularly as no-one on this thread has labelled and ostracised any entire group of people. behonest
  • Score: 15

5:10pm Thu 10 Apr 14

thetruthyoucanthandlethetruth says...

Johnny foreigner. I know they're not all bad, but there seems to be a very high proportion of them who are engaged in criminal activities. A lot like the Travelers.
Johnny foreigner. I know they're not all bad, but there seems to be a very high proportion of them who are engaged in criminal activities. A lot like the Travelers. thetruthyoucanthandlethetruth
  • Score: 16

6:04pm Thu 10 Apr 14

rabennison says...

behonest wrote:
rabennison says...
"Labeling an entire group of people in a country and ostracizing them because of the appalling acts of individuals is exactly the type of behaviour this country once stood up against."

Nice try, but attempting to bring Nazi's into this fools no-one. Particularly as no-one on this thread has labelled and ostracised any entire group of people.
Okay - "England is becoming a sheltered haven for war criminals and all sorts of bandits from EUROPE"

"further evidence of cultural enrichment."

"Eastern Europeans stealing from a 90 year-old woman? No surely not."

All quotes taken from from posts on here that can leave people feeling ostracised because they have immigrated to these shores.

Please tell me who I am trying to fool. It was merely an observation of the current political climate.
[quote][p][bold]behonest[/bold] wrote: rabennison says... "Labeling an entire group of people in a country and ostracizing them because of the appalling acts of individuals is exactly the type of behaviour this country once stood up against." Nice try, but attempting to bring Nazi's into this fools no-one. Particularly as no-one on this thread has labelled and ostracised any entire group of people.[/p][/quote]Okay - "England is becoming a sheltered haven for war criminals and all sorts of bandits from EUROPE" "further evidence of cultural enrichment." "Eastern Europeans stealing from a 90 year-old woman? No surely not." All quotes taken from from posts on here that can leave people feeling ostracised because they have immigrated to these shores. Please tell me who I am trying to fool. It was merely an observation of the current political climate. rabennison
  • Score: -2

7:08pm Thu 10 Apr 14

behonest says...

You're now suggesting how people may feel, which is entirely different to your earlier statement about entire groups being labelled and ostracised - which is not true. And trying to link people's concerns with being Nazi-like fools no-one.
You're now suggesting how people may feel, which is entirely different to your earlier statement about entire groups being labelled and ostracised - which is not true. And trying to link people's concerns with being Nazi-like fools no-one. behonest
  • Score: -7

7:34pm Thu 10 Apr 14

rabennison says...

Again you say it fools no-one - who am I trying to fool? I have a feeling it may be you who is trying to fool - Not a UKIP supporter by chance?

People may have concerns - but a story in the paper states 2 people possibly of Eastern European origin - not confirmed in any way, commit a crime and people claim Britain is a sheltered haven for war criminals/bandits from Europe, suggest that Multiculturalism is bad and imply (as you did - be honest ) that Eastern Europeans are more likely to steal from a 90 year old lady? That is labeling a whole group of people based on the actions of 2 awful individuals.
Again you say it fools no-one - who am I trying to fool? I have a feeling it may be you who is trying to fool - Not a UKIP supporter by chance? People may have concerns - but a story in the paper states 2 people possibly of Eastern European origin - not confirmed in any way, commit a crime and people claim Britain is a sheltered haven for war criminals/bandits from Europe, suggest that Multiculturalism is bad and imply (as you did - be honest ) that Eastern Europeans are more likely to steal from a 90 year old lady? That is labeling a whole group of people based on the actions of 2 awful individuals. rabennison
  • Score: 1

8:51pm Thu 10 Apr 14

Border Terrier says...

What happened to the other two, trying to mug people in M&S.
That's gone quiet?
What happened to the other two, trying to mug people in M&S. That's gone quiet? Border Terrier
  • Score: 8

10:07pm Thu 10 Apr 14

stiv says...

These full time pick pockets must be on about £2k a week tax free with loads of free benefits thrown in, maybe if we stop making it easy for them they might go home.
These full time pick pockets must be on about £2k a week tax free with loads of free benefits thrown in, maybe if we stop making it easy for them they might go home. stiv
  • Score: 11

10:42pm Thu 10 Apr 14

behonest says...

rabennison says...
"Again you say it fools no-one - who am I trying to fool?"
"People may have concerns - but a story in the paper states 2 people possibly of Eastern European origin - not confirmed in any way, commit a crime and people ....suggest that Multiculturalism is bad and imply (as you did - be honest ) that Eastern Europeans are more likely to steal from a 90 year old lady?"

I think you are trying to fool people into thinking that if they believe a higher % of Eastern Europeans in the Region are more likely to commit this sort of crime than local people, then they are Nazi's for thinking this way. I strongly disagree with this leftie view. We've seen several stories of people of Eastern European appearance committing these despicable crimes against particularly vulnerable and elderly people in the Region, so it is understandable that many people will hold this view. Yes, crimes are obviously committed by local people, but there seems to be more of a tendency to commit these despicable types of crime from certain Eastern Europeans. I'd be interested to see the stats.

If a couple of British men mugged a 90 year-old Romanian woman in Romania, I suspect the locals there would want to lynch them, and there would be no leftie crying 'racist' if the locals were to say 'typical Brits'.

I assume you've interpreted 'further evidence of cultural enrichment' as suggesting multiculturalism is bad? Not quite the same thing though, is it? It could just be criticism of our open-door, free-for-all EU immigration policy? But even if someone does believe that multiculturalism is bad, then so what? They are perfectly entitled to that view, it doesn't really make them 'racist', they perhaps just believe that different cultures live better within their own society. And let's behonest, many different cultures in this country live that way anyway.

We're not really a multi-cultural society, we're a society with lots of different cultures living in it.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that all foreigners are 'bad', of course they're not. But we do seem to have a problem that has got worse recently, since the floodgates opened to certain Eastern European countries.
rabennison says... "Again you say it fools no-one - who am I trying to fool?" "People may have concerns - but a story in the paper states 2 people possibly of Eastern European origin - not confirmed in any way, commit a crime and people ....suggest that Multiculturalism is bad and imply (as you did - be honest ) that Eastern Europeans are more likely to steal from a 90 year old lady?" I think you are trying to fool people into thinking that if they believe a higher % of Eastern Europeans in the Region are more likely to commit this sort of crime than local people, then they are Nazi's for thinking this way. I strongly disagree with this leftie view. We've seen several stories of people of Eastern European appearance committing these despicable crimes against particularly vulnerable and elderly people in the Region, so it is understandable that many people will hold this view. Yes, crimes are obviously committed by local people, but there seems to be more of a tendency to commit these despicable types of crime from certain Eastern Europeans. I'd be interested to see the stats. If a couple of British men mugged a 90 year-old Romanian woman in Romania, I suspect the locals there would want to lynch them, and there would be no leftie crying 'racist' if the locals were to say 'typical Brits'. I assume you've interpreted 'further evidence of cultural enrichment' as suggesting multiculturalism is bad? Not quite the same thing though, is it? It could just be criticism of our open-door, free-for-all EU immigration policy? But even if someone does believe that multiculturalism is bad, then so what? They are perfectly entitled to that view, it doesn't really make them 'racist', they perhaps just believe that different cultures live better within their own society. And let's behonest, many different cultures in this country live that way anyway. We're not really a multi-cultural society, we're a society with lots of different cultures living in it. I'm not suggesting for a minute that all foreigners are 'bad', of course they're not. But we do seem to have a problem that has got worse recently, since the floodgates opened to certain Eastern European countries. behonest
  • Score: -2

11:14pm Thu 10 Apr 14

rabennison says...

behonest- I seriously just laughed out loud reading this, quite frankly, twaddle! The only person who has used the term "Nazi" is you, the only person who has used the term "racist" is you. I fully respect everyone has a view on such subjects and would never try and shout someone down for it without a valid reason, especially by jumping to such easy, ill thought phrases. Reading the language and phrases you use says it all - "Eastern European Appearance", "Floodgates", "Free -For-All" - if that doesn't sound like scare mongering I don't know what does. Look at statistics - real statistics, not the ones made up by UKIP and the like, look at the real problems that cause these problems and most of all try talking, having a good old fashioned chat with people from different backgrounds that live in this country in modern Britain. Because the truth is, most of what politicians tell you is purely to create and then pander to fears - because it makes there job valid. Papers like to stir up fear because it sells and many people like to believe it all because its the easy way to deal with what there being told and give's something/someone to blame problems on, without even realising the issue's have never really been tackled in the first place.
behonest- I seriously just laughed out loud reading this, quite frankly, twaddle! The only person who has used the term "Nazi" is you, the only person who has used the term "racist" is you. I fully respect everyone has a view on such subjects and would never try and shout someone down for it without a valid reason, especially by jumping to such easy, ill thought phrases. Reading the language and phrases you use says it all - "Eastern European Appearance", "Floodgates", "Free -For-All" - if that doesn't sound like scare mongering I don't know what does. Look at statistics - real statistics, not the ones made up by UKIP and the like, look at the real problems that cause these problems and most of all try talking, having a good old fashioned chat with people from different backgrounds that live in this country in modern Britain. Because the truth is, most of what politicians tell you is purely to create and then pander to fears - because it makes there job valid. Papers like to stir up fear because it sells and many people like to believe it all because its the easy way to deal with what there being told and give's something/someone to blame problems on, without even realising the issue's have never really been tackled in the first place. rabennison
  • Score: 2

11:34pm Thu 10 Apr 14

behonest says...

Twaddle, eh? "Labeling an entire group of people in a country and ostracizing them because of the appalling acts of individuals is exactly the type of behaviour this country once stood up against."
So this is not a reference to standing up against the Nazi's? Come on, be honest - what is it a reference to then?

And if opening our borders to allow unrestricted immigration from EU countries does not mean an immigration free-for-all from the EU, what does it mean? Unrestricted immigration? Same thing.
Twaddle, eh? "Labeling an entire group of people in a country and ostracizing them because of the appalling acts of individuals is exactly the type of behaviour this country once stood up against." So this is not a reference to standing up against the Nazi's? Come on, be honest - what is it a reference to then? And if opening our borders to allow unrestricted immigration from EU countries does not mean an immigration free-for-all from the EU, what does it mean? Unrestricted immigration? Same thing. behonest
  • Score: -5

12:51am Fri 11 Apr 14

rabennison says...

It is a reference to a mindset that was used,stirred and exploited through fear in pre-war Germany by Hitler to allow his National Socialist Party to flourish. I am in no way stating all who have this opinion are "Nazi" (why I didn't say it) as much as everyone in Germany wasn't a "Nazi" through those years. Despite the appalling acts of a few, that brainwashed and spread fear into German Nationals coercing them into fighting under this banner, German Prisoners of War were encouraged and welcomed into British homes for Christmas dinners with families during and following the war. I wonder how many would do the same now.

Unfortunately, what people perceive and told is the truth regarding immigration in this country is quite often nonsense. Immigration to Britian from Europe over the last 12 years has contributed 34% more in national revenue than taken out which was nearly a £9 bn profit. British nationals have an average of an 11% deficit. In the last decade the total number of British born population leaving for pastures new was around 14 million. The total number of those immigrating is also aproximately 14 million - hardly a flood! Crime's committed by people of Eastern European descent have also fallen over the last year, meaning percentage population wise it is more likely someone born on these shores will commit a crime than a person born in Eastern Europe.
It is a reference to a mindset that was used,stirred and exploited through fear in pre-war Germany by Hitler to allow his National Socialist Party to flourish. I am in no way stating all who have this opinion are "Nazi" (why I didn't say it) as much as everyone in Germany wasn't a "Nazi" through those years. Despite the appalling acts of a few, that brainwashed and spread fear into German Nationals coercing them into fighting under this banner, German Prisoners of War were encouraged and welcomed into British homes for Christmas dinners with families during and following the war. I wonder how many would do the same now. Unfortunately, what people perceive and told is the truth regarding immigration in this country is quite often nonsense. Immigration to Britian from Europe over the last 12 years has contributed 34% more in national revenue than taken out which was nearly a £9 bn profit. British nationals have an average of an 11% deficit. In the last decade the total number of British born population leaving for pastures new was around 14 million. The total number of those immigrating is also aproximately 14 million - hardly a flood! Crime's committed by people of Eastern European descent have also fallen over the last year, meaning percentage population wise it is more likely someone born on these shores will commit a crime than a person born in Eastern Europe. rabennison
  • Score: 0

11:00am Fri 11 Apr 14

TJS1985 says...

JJ2000 wrote:
A guy tries to walk out of the same Morrisons with some stolen items a few weeks ago and is immediately apprehended.
Yet 2 Blokes rob an old lady, but walk out unchallenged?
I can't help but feel that if they'd picked up a magazine on the way out without paying they'd soon be pinned down by the guards.
I so hope I'm wrong, but it seems to be a typical retailers 'Got nuffin to do wiv me gov.' stance.
Well JJ2000 I can certainly tell you that you are very wrong I was in the store that day and witnessed the reaction by the guard and staff and think your comment is extremely unfair on them first of all the theft occurred outside the store so they didn't just walk out unchallenged I also can tell you that the second someone rushed into the store and informed the guard what happened he raced out the store and across the carpark where the two lads had apparently gone and did not return for a good ten minutes and when he did he was in a taxi with the old lady who he then assisted inside whilst consoling her and sat her down in the shop cafe and brought her a pot of tea then headed off to apparently get all the witness details for the police whilst a few other members of staff and from what I recognise from the picture in the store the manager looked after the women and got her anything she wanted the guard then returned with shopping for her along with the taxi driver who gave the lady some money I assume it was her fare back later on as I was leaving I could see the guard carrying her shopping to a car of someone who had come for the women so I think rather than bash the staff at morrisons a little bit of praise is due yes they didn't stop the theft but showed a great deal of care and kindness to the women I shop in that store a lot and the guard on that day is always firm with trouble makers normally kids but is also always friendly towards people so I will say well done to the staff that day for looking after the lady so well and thank you to that taxi driver for showing some human kindness
[quote][p][bold]JJ2000[/bold] wrote: A guy tries to walk out of the same Morrisons with some stolen items a few weeks ago and is immediately apprehended. Yet 2 Blokes rob an old lady, but walk out unchallenged? I can't help but feel that if they'd picked up a magazine on the way out without paying they'd soon be pinned down by the guards. I so hope I'm wrong, but it seems to be a typical retailers 'Got nuffin to do wiv me gov.' stance.[/p][/quote]Well JJ2000 I can certainly tell you that you are very wrong I was in the store that day and witnessed the reaction by the guard and staff and think your comment is extremely unfair on them first of all the theft occurred outside the store so they didn't just walk out unchallenged I also can tell you that the second someone rushed into the store and informed the guard what happened he raced out the store and across the carpark where the two lads had apparently gone and did not return for a good ten minutes and when he did he was in a taxi with the old lady who he then assisted inside whilst consoling her and sat her down in the shop cafe and brought her a pot of tea then headed off to apparently get all the witness details for the police whilst a few other members of staff and from what I recognise from the picture in the store the manager looked after the women and got her anything she wanted the guard then returned with shopping for her along with the taxi driver who gave the lady some money I assume it was her fare back later on as I was leaving I could see the guard carrying her shopping to a car of someone who had come for the women so I think rather than bash the staff at morrisons a little bit of praise is due yes they didn't stop the theft but showed a great deal of care and kindness to the women I shop in that store a lot and the guard on that day is always firm with trouble makers normally kids but is also always friendly towards people so I will say well done to the staff that day for looking after the lady so well and thank you to that taxi driver for showing some human kindness TJS1985
  • Score: 15

1:12pm Fri 11 Apr 14

MartinMo says...

This sort of thing is happening all the time across the nation and it is not just foreign nationals that are guilty of these crimes however in most cases of theft (especially from elderly weaker targets) the crims do share something in common, they all come from the very low to no income social status.

Increase the severity of punishments may actually achieve a drop in crime rate of this nature (decapitation of limbs generally puts people off of the idea of stealing).

As a country though, we have enough of our own home grown low lifes without allowing more to take residence from around the globe.
This sort of thing is happening all the time across the nation and it is not just foreign nationals that are guilty of these crimes however in most cases of theft (especially from elderly weaker targets) the crims do share something in common, they all come from the very low to no income social status. Increase the severity of punishments may actually achieve a drop in crime rate of this nature (decapitation of limbs generally puts people off of the idea of stealing). As a country though, we have enough of our own home grown low lifes without allowing more to take residence from around the globe. MartinMo
  • Score: 8

6:15pm Fri 11 Apr 14

behonest says...

rabennison says...
"It is a reference to a mindset that was used,stirred and exploited through fear in pre-war Germany by Hitler to allow his National Socialist Party to flourish."

So you now admit you were comparing the behaviour of those you allege (falsely) have labelled and ostracised entire groups, with Nazi behaviour. I'm not sure why you feel the need to point out that you didn't actually use the word 'Nazi' when you compared people with Nazi's. Curious.

And amusingly ironic that you criticise me for using certain phrases that you say are 'scaremongering' and then you go on about 1930s Germany and comparing people with Nazi's!

As for your statistics, I'd be interested to know the source, because some of them appear very questionable. For example, 'in the last decade the total number of British born population leaving for pastures new was around 14 million.'? This is nearly a quarter of the British population you say have left in 10 years. Really? This is very hard to believe.
rabennison says... "It is a reference to a mindset that was used,stirred and exploited through fear in pre-war Germany by Hitler to allow his National Socialist Party to flourish." So you now admit you were comparing the behaviour of those you allege (falsely) have labelled and ostracised entire groups, with Nazi behaviour. I'm not sure why you feel the need to point out that you didn't actually use the word 'Nazi' when you compared people with Nazi's. Curious. And amusingly ironic that you criticise me for using certain phrases that you say are 'scaremongering' and then you go on about 1930s Germany and comparing people with Nazi's! As for your statistics, I'd be interested to know the source, because some of them appear very questionable. For example, 'in the last decade the total number of British born population leaving for pastures new was around 14 million.'? This is nearly a quarter of the British population you say have left in 10 years. Really? This is very hard to believe. behonest
  • Score: -1

8:16pm Fri 11 Apr 14

rabennison says...

behonest wrote:
rabennison says...
"It is a reference to a mindset that was used,stirred and exploited through fear in pre-war Germany by Hitler to allow his National Socialist Party to flourish."

So you now admit you were comparing the behaviour of those you allege (falsely) have labelled and ostracised entire groups, with Nazi behaviour. I'm not sure why you feel the need to point out that you didn't actually use the word 'Nazi' when you compared people with Nazi's. Curious.

And amusingly ironic that you criticise me for using certain phrases that you say are 'scaremongering' and then you go on about 1930s Germany and comparing people with Nazi's!

As for your statistics, I'd be interested to know the source, because some of them appear very questionable. For example, 'in the last decade the total number of British born population leaving for pastures new was around 14 million.'? This is nearly a quarter of the British population you say have left in 10 years. Really? This is very hard to believe.
First note - that was a typo, it was meant to say 20 years- the issues of writing comments on a touch screen phone. The figures are about for all to read if they look. Office for national statistics, collated data from N.I. numbers to name but a couple.

And no. I could of not of made that point any clear. It seems as though you have a real difficulty separating and treating people as an individual. As much as every person who believes in God isn't a Christian every person who has concerns because of what they are told regarding immigration are not "Nazi". There are a proportion who will have preconceived ideas and prejudices of others because of their nationality/ethnicit
y/religious beliefs. Then I would state they are a xenophobe, a racist or a bigot. There are people who have such ideas who do attempt to label and ostracise certain groups. By your comment "Eastern Europeans stealing from a 90 year-old woman? No surely not" it could be argued you could be one of these people, which is maybe why you feel the need to be so defensive. Others may make comments about there concerns regarding immigration but have not felt the need to make insulting suggestions because of peoples backgrounds

Anyway, a little bored of this now, its not possible to make points any clearer and then for you to re-work things into your theories and frankly the broken record is getting tiresome.
[quote][p][bold]behonest[/bold] wrote: rabennison says... "It is a reference to a mindset that was used,stirred and exploited through fear in pre-war Germany by Hitler to allow his National Socialist Party to flourish." So you now admit you were comparing the behaviour of those you allege (falsely) have labelled and ostracised entire groups, with Nazi behaviour. I'm not sure why you feel the need to point out that you didn't actually use the word 'Nazi' when you compared people with Nazi's. Curious. And amusingly ironic that you criticise me for using certain phrases that you say are 'scaremongering' and then you go on about 1930s Germany and comparing people with Nazi's! As for your statistics, I'd be interested to know the source, because some of them appear very questionable. For example, 'in the last decade the total number of British born population leaving for pastures new was around 14 million.'? This is nearly a quarter of the British population you say have left in 10 years. Really? This is very hard to believe.[/p][/quote]First note - that was a typo, it was meant to say 20 years- the issues of writing comments on a touch screen phone. The figures are about for all to read if they look. Office for national statistics, collated data from N.I. numbers to name but a couple. And no. I could of not of made that point any clear. It seems as though you have a real difficulty separating and treating people as an individual. As much as every person who believes in God isn't a Christian every person who has concerns because of what they are told regarding immigration are not "Nazi". There are a proportion who will have preconceived ideas and prejudices of others because of their nationality/ethnicit y/religious beliefs. Then I would state they are a xenophobe, a racist or a bigot. There are people who have such ideas who do attempt to label and ostracise certain groups. By your comment "Eastern Europeans stealing from a 90 year-old woman? No surely not" it could be argued you could be one of these people, which is maybe why you feel the need to be so defensive. Others may make comments about there concerns regarding immigration but have not felt the need to make insulting suggestions because of peoples backgrounds Anyway, a little bored of this now, its not possible to make points any clearer and then for you to re-work things into your theories and frankly the broken record is getting tiresome. rabennison
  • Score: -4

8:54pm Fri 11 Apr 14

behonest says...

Oh, it was a typo was it? Instead of typing '20 years', you accidentally typed 'in the last decade'. Pull the other one.

And as for your source..'The figures are about for all to read if they look'...not very precise now, is it? If you quote actual figures then surely you can say where they came from?

Let me give you an example. The number of people leaving Britain from 1991 to 2012 (over 20 years) was approx. 7 million. About half of the figure you quoted. Source: 'Long Term International Migration Flows to and from the UK, Figure 1' published by The Migration Observatory, Feb 14.

This, of course, excludes the people arriving in Britain. When you count these in, you get a net increase of approx. 3 million over the same period. Same source.
Oh, it was a typo was it? Instead of typing '20 years', you accidentally typed 'in the last decade'. Pull the other one. And as for your source..'The figures are about for all to read if they look'...not very precise now, is it? If you quote actual figures then surely you can say where they came from? Let me give you an example. The number of people leaving Britain from 1991 to 2012 (over 20 years) was approx. 7 million. About half of the figure you quoted. Source: 'Long Term International Migration Flows to and from the UK, Figure 1' published by The Migration Observatory, Feb 14. This, of course, excludes the people arriving in Britain. When you count these in, you get a net increase of approx. 3 million over the same period. Same source. behonest
  • Score: 0

9:36pm Fri 11 Apr 14

bambara says...

Whole bunch of government and independant studies all show the Eastern Europeans are net contributors to this country. I have quoted a few below.

Figures provided by University College London's migration research unit.
Migrants coming to the UK since the year 2000 have been less likely to receive benefits or use social housing than people already living in the country.
The new arrivals have made a net contribution of £25bn to public finances.
People from European Economic Area countries have been the most likely to make a positive contribution, paying about 34% more in taxes than they received in benefits over the 10 years from 2001 to 2011.

Home Office report (Gott and Johnston (2002)) for the fiscal year 1999-2000 migrants in the UK contributed GBP 31.2 billion in taxes and used benefits and state services valued at GBP 28.8 billion. Therefore, the net fiscal contribution of migrants was approximately GBP 2.5 billion.

IPPR’s (Institute for public policy research) analysis suggests that the NAFI (net annual fiscal contribution) for migrants in 1999-2000 was 1.06, higher than the UK-born value (1.01). For 2003-2004, the difference between migrants and the UK-born increased; (That means they contribute more than the equivalent British average)
(Dustmann et al. 2010). While A8 migrants work mostly in lower wage occupations, they have high labour force participation rates and employment rates, a fact which offsets the impact of their lower wages.

The study by Dustmann et al (2010) also finds that even if A8 migrants had the same characteristics as UK-born individuals they would still be less likely to receive government benefits and social housing.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR, 2012) explored the long-term fiscal sustainability of the UK using the Office for National Statistics (ONS) 2010-based population projections, OBR finds that higher net migration reduces pressure on government debt over time.

So if you want to increase the national debt and increase taxation levels for everyone in this country, then send them home.
Whole bunch of government and independant studies all show the Eastern Europeans are net contributors to this country. I have quoted a few below. Figures provided by University College London's migration research unit. Migrants coming to the UK since the year 2000 have been less likely to receive benefits or use social housing than people already living in the country. The new arrivals have made a net contribution of £25bn to public finances. People from European Economic Area countries have been the most likely to make a positive contribution, paying about 34% more in taxes than they received in benefits over the 10 years from 2001 to 2011. Home Office report (Gott and Johnston (2002)) for the fiscal year 1999-2000 migrants in the UK contributed GBP 31.2 billion in taxes and used benefits and state services valued at GBP 28.8 billion. Therefore, the net fiscal contribution of migrants was approximately GBP 2.5 billion. IPPR’s (Institute for public policy research) analysis suggests that the NAFI (net annual fiscal contribution) for migrants in 1999-2000 was 1.06, higher than the UK-born value (1.01). For 2003-2004, the difference between migrants and the UK-born increased; (That means they contribute more than the equivalent British average) (Dustmann et al. 2010). While A8 migrants work mostly in lower wage occupations, they have high labour force participation rates and employment rates, a fact which offsets the impact of their lower wages. The study by Dustmann et al (2010) also finds that even if A8 migrants had the same characteristics as UK-born individuals they would still be less likely to receive government benefits and social housing. The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR, 2012) explored the long-term fiscal sustainability of the UK using the Office for National Statistics (ONS) 2010-based population projections, OBR finds that higher net migration reduces pressure on government debt over time. So if you want to increase the national debt and increase taxation levels for everyone in this country, then send them home. bambara
  • Score: -2

10:08pm Fri 11 Apr 14

behonest says...

No one is talking about sending them all home though, are they? UKIP certainly is not. It's about having a sensible, targeted immigration policy that brings in to the UK those who will contribute, not those who just want to milk the system or commit despicable crimes such as the one in this article. If the USA, Australia, Canada, etc, can have such an immigration policy, as they do, then so can we.

Anyone watching 'Gypsies on Benefits' on Channel 5 tonight? Loads of Romanians in the UK, they've contributed nothing, but are taking the UK taxpayer for an absolute mug.

This is why we need reform of the EU. We need to regain control of our borders, so that we ourselves can choose who can come to this country, rather than be forced to accept anyone and everyone from the EU that wants to come here, even those that are unskilled, unemployed, have several kids and just plan to live here funded by benefits.

If I'm wrong, or paranoid, or scaremongering, etc, then what is wrong with legislation that bans any unemployed person from the EU entering the UK? Or if they do enter, they cannot receive any benefits at all for say 12 months? And if they are found guilty of crimes such as the disgusting crime in this article, they will be sent home after serving their jail sentence. That way we get the benefit of decent, talented, employable immigrants - which will be to the benefit of the UK - but we don't have to accept those that will contribute nothing. Fair enough?
No one is talking about sending them all home though, are they? UKIP certainly is not. It's about having a sensible, targeted immigration policy that brings in to the UK those who will contribute, not those who just want to milk the system or commit despicable crimes such as the one in this article. If the USA, Australia, Canada, etc, can have such an immigration policy, as they do, then so can we. Anyone watching 'Gypsies on Benefits' on Channel 5 tonight? Loads of Romanians in the UK, they've contributed nothing, but are taking the UK taxpayer for an absolute mug. This is why we need reform of the EU. We need to regain control of our borders, so that we ourselves can choose who can come to this country, rather than be forced to accept anyone and everyone from the EU that wants to come here, even those that are unskilled, unemployed, have several kids and just plan to live here funded by benefits. If I'm wrong, or paranoid, or scaremongering, etc, then what is wrong with legislation that bans any unemployed person from the EU entering the UK? Or if they do enter, they cannot receive any benefits at all for say 12 months? And if they are found guilty of crimes such as the disgusting crime in this article, they will be sent home after serving their jail sentence. That way we get the benefit of decent, talented, employable immigrants - which will be to the benefit of the UK - but we don't have to accept those that will contribute nothing. Fair enough? behonest
  • Score: 4

10:55pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Darkroom Devil says...

A thiefs a thief and a scumbags a scumbag regardless of where they come from. Fact

All those upset about immigration, hold that thought when they wheel you into A&E next time.
A thiefs a thief and a scumbags a scumbag regardless of where they come from. Fact All those upset about immigration, hold that thought when they wheel you into A&E next time. Darkroom Devil
  • Score: 3

11:35pm Fri 11 Apr 14

rabennison says...

well miss read/miss type - the fact still is proportionally in and out are pretty close-think you might find that that 7 million accounts for people leaving for else where on long term visa's. if you equate shorter term - 1-2 years, for education, work etc the figure in the region of 12 -14 million depending on variables used to to calculate it. Those figures are taken from various sources, including the ones I mentioned previously and others.

In fairness you give the game away every time you mention UKIP - up there with the biggest liars of all!
well miss read/miss type - the fact still is proportionally in and out are pretty close-think you might find that that 7 million accounts for people leaving for else where on long term visa's. if you equate shorter term - 1-2 years, for education, work etc the figure in the region of 12 -14 million depending on variables used to to calculate it. Those figures are taken from various sources, including the ones I mentioned previously and others. In fairness you give the game away every time you mention UKIP - up there with the biggest liars of all! rabennison
  • Score: -6

12:26am Sat 12 Apr 14

behonest says...

Darkroom Devil says...
"All those upset about immigration, hold that thought when they wheel you into A&E next time"

Exactly, I agree. And so does UKIP. If we can encourage skilled people like doctors and nurses to come to the UK and work in our NHS then we should all be happy with that. Let's just make sure we have an immigration policy that delivers such skilled people, not one that allows anybody and everybody in.
Darkroom Devil says... "All those upset about immigration, hold that thought when they wheel you into A&E next time" Exactly, I agree. And so does UKIP. If we can encourage skilled people like doctors and nurses to come to the UK and work in our NHS then we should all be happy with that. Let's just make sure we have an immigration policy that delivers such skilled people, not one that allows anybody and everybody in. behonest
  • Score: -1

12:30am Sat 12 Apr 14

behonest says...

rabennison says...
"well miss read/miss type - the fact still is proportionally in and out are pretty close-think you might find that that 7 million accounts for people leaving for else where on long term visa's. if you equate shorter term - 1-2 years, for education, work etc the figure in the region of 12 -14 million depending on variables used to to calculate it."

You couldn't just say this again, by any chance? In English this time, please. (Assuming it's not 'racist' to ask for it in English)
rabennison says... "well miss read/miss type - the fact still is proportionally in and out are pretty close-think you might find that that 7 million accounts for people leaving for else where on long term visa's. if you equate shorter term - 1-2 years, for education, work etc the figure in the region of 12 -14 million depending on variables used to to calculate it." You couldn't just say this again, by any chance? In English this time, please. (Assuming it's not 'racist' to ask for it in English) behonest
  • Score: 1

2:12am Sat 12 Apr 14

rabennison says...

Maybe the expense fiddlers, ex-Thatcherites, story tellers, homophobes and extremists in UKLIP should look at education system first. It seems the current one is lacking by your inability to understand what I presume is you first language
Maybe the expense fiddlers, ex-Thatcherites, story tellers, homophobes and extremists in UKLIP should look at education system first. It seems the current one is lacking by your inability to understand what I presume is you first language rabennison
  • Score: -5

8:12am Sat 12 Apr 14

bambara says...

We don't need to leave the EU, or demonise immigrants to resolve the issues.
All we need to do is to act to mandate primacy of sovereignty.
That is make it clear that any law passed by the government of the UK will have the ultimate power in the UK and will where it conflicts with european legislation will be taken to be the rule which applies.
As I have said before the UK is a sovereign state, we are part of the EU, but we retain our sovereign status.
By stressing that sovereign status, we can simply block any "rights" of foreign nationals to claim benefits in the UK, and can act to deport foreign criminals.
It is only the acceptance of the government that they will be bound by international and EU laws which prevent them from taking these actions.
We don't need to leave the EU, or demonise immigrants to resolve the issues. All we need to do is to act to mandate primacy of sovereignty. That is make it clear that any law passed by the government of the UK will have the ultimate power in the UK and will where it conflicts with european legislation will be taken to be the rule which applies. As I have said before the UK is a sovereign state, we are part of the EU, but we retain our sovereign status. By stressing that sovereign status, we can simply block any "rights" of foreign nationals to claim benefits in the UK, and can act to deport foreign criminals. It is only the acceptance of the government that they will be bound by international and EU laws which prevent them from taking these actions. bambara
  • Score: -1

6:32pm Sat 12 Apr 14

behonest says...

rabennison wrote:
Maybe the expense fiddlers, ex-Thatcherites, story tellers, homophobes and extremists in UKLIP should look at education system first. It seems the current one is lacking by your inability to understand what I presume is you first language
Never heard of 'UKLIP'. Perhaps you could enlighten us?
[quote][p][bold]rabennison[/bold] wrote: Maybe the expense fiddlers, ex-Thatcherites, story tellers, homophobes and extremists in UKLIP should look at education system first. It seems the current one is lacking by your inability to understand what I presume is you first language[/p][/quote]Never heard of 'UKLIP'. Perhaps you could enlighten us? behonest
  • Score: 0

5:49am Tue 15 Apr 14

drainman says...

Catch, sentance, serve and ship out. Sadly this is the only way this country can reclaim any respect from its residents. Otherwise we in major trouble in the furture.
Catch, sentance, serve and ship out. Sadly this is the only way this country can reclaim any respect from its residents. Otherwise we in major trouble in the furture. drainman
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree