Spending a penny in the market would cost thousands

The Advertiser Series: TOILETS CALL: Conservative councillor Bill Stenson TOILETS CALL: Conservative councillor Bill Stenson

RE-OPENING mothballed public toilets in Darlington town centre would cost taxpayers tens of thousands of pounds a year, according to a senior councillor.

Darlington Borough Council closed the toilets in the Covered Market in April 2012, in an effort to save money in the face of budgetary pressures.

The toilets were the last purpose-built local authority-run toilets in the town.

Attempts to reopen the toilets have been made, but have not materialised.

Although there are free public toilets in the council-run Dolphin Centre, there is still a debate over the future of the market toilets.

That debate was given another airing at a meeting of the full council on Thursday evening.

Tory councillor Bill Stenson, who has long campaigned for the toilets to be reopened, repeated that call, saying he could not understand the ruling Labour group's stance on the issue.

Speaking to The Northern Echo after the meeting, Cllr Stenson said: "The Dolphin Centre toilets are all well and good, but it's not the same as having a dedicated toilet block in the market.

"It's not as if the toilets in the Dolphin Centre are advertised, I don't think many people will even realise they are there."

Cllr Nick Wallis, cabinet member for leisure and local environment, outlined the cost of re-opening the toilets.

He said: "I would like to nail this mis-information that there are no public toilets available in Darlington town centre.

"There are public toilets, they are in the Dolphin Centre and they are open longer, not plagued by anti-social behaviour and they are free of charge."

Cllr Wallis said it would cost £68,000 to re-open the toilets, as well as an annual bill of £30,000 a year in maintenance.

Those figures were based on a 20p charge for using the toilets, said Cllr Wallis.

Cllr Stenson disputed the figures, arguing that people would be prepared to pay 25p or 30p to use the facilities.

He added: "People complain to me all the time about the lack of toilets in the market.

"They might moan about having to pay, but they would soon pull a few pence out of their pocket if they were in a hurry."

Members discussed the ongoing debate on the state of Darlington town centre.

Cllr Chris McEwan, cabinet member for economy and regeneration, said: "There's lively debate on this issue, as one would expect, not just in [the council chamber], but out there.

"That's a sign that we've got a good town centre, we want it to be even better and we have got to promote the positives of our town centre."

Comments (33)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:29pm Fri 18 Jul 14

DP20 says...

Really, how much to refurbish them are you having a giraffe, give me the supposed 30k a year I will run, manage, maintain and clean them, what a joke shoppers and the good people of Darlington have to pay 25p to spend a penny, another nail in the coffin that DBC and it's overpaid hierarchy have hammered home, well done, what's next Bill ?????? So glad I left the once proud town with a great heritage because of you penny pinching and total disregard for residents views.
Really, how much to refurbish them are you having a giraffe, give me the supposed 30k a year I will run, manage, maintain and clean them, what a joke shoppers and the good people of Darlington have to pay 25p to spend a penny, another nail in the coffin that DBC and it's overpaid hierarchy have hammered home, well done, what's next Bill ?????? So glad I left the once proud town with a great heritage because of you penny pinching and total disregard for residents views. DP20
  • Score: 27

5:32pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Red rose lad says...

The Council Chief and numerous Directors/Assistant Directors cost us almost £1.4 Million per annum. The removal of the public toilets isn't the only way they've taken the pi$$.
The Council Chief and numerous Directors/Assistant Directors cost us almost £1.4 Million per annum. The removal of the public toilets isn't the only way they've taken the pi$$. Red rose lad
  • Score: 29

6:54pm Fri 18 Jul 14

oliviaden6 says...

Red rose lad wrote:
The Council Chief and numerous Directors/Assistant Directors cost us almost £1.4 Million per annum. The removal of the public toilets isn't the only way they've taken the pi$$.
Agree the council is on the slippery slope to no where in desperation they have systematically run the town into the mire and are still doing so.
The attitude of the Council and it leaders is do as we say not do as we do OH and while your at it up goes the Council tax/More Wheelie bins/ more waste in hair brained schemes, it goes on and on and on. if the good people of Darlington have got any sense they will vote this bunch of pirates and highway me into touch at the soonest opportunity.
[quote][p][bold]Red rose lad[/bold] wrote: The Council Chief and numerous Directors/Assistant Directors cost us almost £1.4 Million per annum. The removal of the public toilets isn't the only way they've taken the pi$$.[/p][/quote]Agree the council is on the slippery slope to no where in desperation they have systematically run the town into the mire and are still doing so. The attitude of the Council and it leaders is do as we say not do as we do OH and while your at it up goes the Council tax/More Wheelie bins/ more waste in hair brained schemes, it goes on and on and on. if the good people of Darlington have got any sense they will vote this bunch of pirates and highway me into touch at the soonest opportunity. oliviaden6
  • Score: 19

6:55pm Fri 18 Jul 14

oliviaden6 says...

Red rose lad wrote:
The Council Chief and numerous Directors/Assistant Directors cost us almost £1.4 Million per annum. The removal of the public toilets isn't the only way they've taken the pi$$.
Agree the council is on the slippery slope to no where in desperation they have systematically run the town into the mire and are still doing so.
The attitude of the Council and it leaders is do as we say not do as we do OH and while your at it up goes the Council tax/More Wheelie bins/ more waste in hair brained schemes, it goes on and on and on. if the good people of Darlington have got any sense they will vote this bunch of pirates and highway me into touch at the soonest opportunity.
[quote][p][bold]Red rose lad[/bold] wrote: The Council Chief and numerous Directors/Assistant Directors cost us almost £1.4 Million per annum. The removal of the public toilets isn't the only way they've taken the pi$$.[/p][/quote]Agree the council is on the slippery slope to no where in desperation they have systematically run the town into the mire and are still doing so. The attitude of the Council and it leaders is do as we say not do as we do OH and while your at it up goes the Council tax/More Wheelie bins/ more waste in hair brained schemes, it goes on and on and on. if the good people of Darlington have got any sense they will vote this bunch of pirates and highway me into touch at the soonest opportunity. oliviaden6
  • Score: 10

7:58pm Fri 18 Jul 14

LUSTARD says...

i certainly didnt know the toilets were available to the public in the dolphin centre and not soley for the use of users. therefore a simple sign on the door of the old market toilets would suffice, note, just use felt tip pen on the door, quick simple cheap, hopefully someone int council can spell and write neatlly, and get the directions to said place correct, tip its behind you in front of the big shady grey monstrosity.
i certainly didnt know the toilets were available to the public in the dolphin centre and not soley for the use of users. therefore a simple sign on the door of the old market toilets would suffice, note, just use felt tip pen on the door, quick simple cheap, hopefully someone int council can spell and write neatlly, and get the directions to said place correct, tip its behind you in front of the big shady grey monstrosity. LUSTARD
  • Score: 27

8:08pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Spy Boy says...

Cllr Wallis said it would cost £68,000 to re-open the toilets, as well as an annual bill of £30,000 a year in maintenance.

I would question these figures too. 'Wheelie Bin' Wallis is making another case to save money at the cost of services that we need. The 20p seemed to be there to pay the person to take 20p. Why not allow a private firm to take these toilets ( or better ones ) over like they have in other towns? Maybe because no one comes here anymore and they would not make a profit.

The market toilets in question were a disgrace, but they were very handy if you were caught short. At least, the pay loos that I have seen are kept nicely and you don't have to wipe your feet going out.

I really wish that this council would get their act together. Maybe we should all start using the toilets in the Town Hall instead and then the council may get around to doing something useful.
Cllr Wallis said it would cost £68,000 to re-open the toilets, as well as an annual bill of £30,000 a year in maintenance. I would question these figures too. 'Wheelie Bin' Wallis is making another case to save money at the cost of services that we need. The 20p seemed to be there to pay the person to take 20p. Why not allow a private firm to take these toilets ( or better ones ) over like they have in other towns? Maybe because no one comes here anymore and they would not make a profit. The market toilets in question were a disgrace, but they were very handy if you were caught short. At least, the pay loos that I have seen are kept nicely and you don't have to wipe your feet going out. I really wish that this council would get their act together. Maybe we should all start using the toilets in the Town Hall instead and then the council may get around to doing something useful. Spy Boy
  • Score: 28

8:18pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Spy Boy says...

LUSTARD wrote:
i certainly didnt know the toilets were available to the public in the dolphin centre and not soley for the use of users. therefore a simple sign on the door of the old market toilets would suffice, note, just use felt tip pen on the door, quick simple cheap, hopefully someone int council can spell and write neatlly, and get the directions to said place correct, tip its behind you in front of the big shady grey monstrosity.
They are happy to keep this quiet. Please remember: The aim of our council seems to be "Make it so hard and expensive to come Darlo that the shoppers will go to Stockton."
[quote][p][bold]LUSTARD[/bold] wrote: i certainly didnt know the toilets were available to the public in the dolphin centre and not soley for the use of users. therefore a simple sign on the door of the old market toilets would suffice, note, just use felt tip pen on the door, quick simple cheap, hopefully someone int council can spell and write neatlly, and get the directions to said place correct, tip its behind you in front of the big shady grey monstrosity.[/p][/quote]They are happy to keep this quiet. Please remember: The aim of our council seems to be "Make it so hard and expensive to come Darlo that the shoppers will go to Stockton." Spy Boy
  • Score: 22

8:36pm Fri 18 Jul 14

K. Richardson says...

There seem to be an awful lot of 'members' in D.B.C., perhaps a public toilet wouldn't be a bad idea.
There seem to be an awful lot of 'members' in D.B.C., perhaps a public toilet wouldn't be a bad idea. K. Richardson
  • Score: 17

9:22pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Got Ya says...

Why doesn't Stenson give up some of his Council allowances to fund the toilets?
Why doesn't Stenson give up some of his Council allowances to fund the toilets? Got Ya
  • Score: -11

11:47pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Time-Traveller says...

Automatic self cleaning public toilet - manufactured by EUROmodul Ltd

Cut n paste above into youtube.... its the answer!

there would be a cost to start with but it would eventually profit...
Automatic self cleaning public toilet - manufactured by EUROmodul Ltd Cut n paste above into youtube.... its the answer! there would be a cost to start with but it would eventually profit... Time-Traveller
  • Score: 6

11:15am Sat 19 Jul 14

Charlie Bradley says...

I fail to see how refurbishing the loos would cost £68k. I'm sure that there are local plumbing/bathroom firms that could do it for significantly less.

Also, £30k for maintenance? If this is staff costs for cleaning/attendants, fair enough but if it is repairs/maintenance it's ridiculous.
I fail to see how refurbishing the loos would cost £68k. I'm sure that there are local plumbing/bathroom firms that could do it for significantly less. Also, £30k for maintenance? If this is staff costs for cleaning/attendants, fair enough but if it is repairs/maintenance it's ridiculous. Charlie Bradley
  • Score: 13

1:39pm Sat 19 Jul 14

hogworth says...

Was in Grange-over-sands at the weekend and used the public loos run by a firm Auto something (DBC contact the local authority in Grange) paid 20 p to open electric door, beautifully clean toilet and wash basin with taps that work.
Was in Grange-over-sands at the weekend and used the public loos run by a firm Auto something (DBC contact the local authority in Grange) paid 20 p to open electric door, beautifully clean toilet and wash basin with taps that work. hogworth
  • Score: 11

3:37pm Sat 19 Jul 14

LUSTARD says...

is this all we are getting to know from the council meeting. what about rob metcalfe and beryl gurule
is this all we are getting to know from the council meeting. what about rob metcalfe and beryl gurule LUSTARD
  • Score: 8

3:41pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Chocmonster7 says...

There is only one cubicle in the ladies toilet in the reception of the Dolphin Centre. Does Mr Wallis really think that is enough?
There is only one cubicle in the ladies toilet in the reception of the Dolphin Centre. Does Mr Wallis really think that is enough? Chocmonster7
  • Score: 14

8:24pm Sat 19 Jul 14

DarloXman says...

When Messrs Bill Dixon (OBE nominated) and Ada Burns (OBE nominated) both sat down to work out how to reduce the council spending they deliberately decided to play politics with their "customers" (council tax payers) and cut services that impacted as many of us as possible - closing public toilets, stop picking up litter, stop cutting/maintaining grassed areas as well as reducing the frequency of refuse collection!

These are "low cost" services that impact the most people - yet were chosen to cause the maximum inconvenience to many - which they try to blame the government for. Yes, we all understand cuts had to be made but they had alternate choices!

I hope the people of Darlington reward the Labour Council for this behaviour and their incompetence next May and then a new set of councillors can arrange for Ms Burns to depart. It may be too late to stop their OBE's but al least we could be rid of them!
When Messrs Bill Dixon (OBE nominated) and Ada Burns (OBE nominated) both sat down to work out how to reduce the council spending they deliberately decided to play politics with their "customers" (council tax payers) and cut services that impacted as many of us as possible - closing public toilets, stop picking up litter, stop cutting/maintaining grassed areas as well as reducing the frequency of refuse collection! These are "low cost" services that impact the most people - yet were chosen to cause the maximum inconvenience to many - which they try to blame the government for. Yes, we all understand cuts had to be made but they had alternate choices! I hope the people of Darlington reward the Labour Council for this behaviour and their incompetence next May and then a new set of councillors can arrange for Ms Burns to depart. It may be too late to stop their OBE's but al least we could be rid of them! DarloXman
  • Score: 17

11:22pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Daffodil says...

We go to Scotland on Holiday and the most we pay to go to the loo is 30p. We do moan about it but you get really clean toilets . Proper sized cubicles and their washing facilities are next to none.Some even have fresh flowers on the ledges they are a pleasure to use. I agree it is ridiculous that you have to go from one end of the town to the other for a loo.
We go to Scotland on Holiday and the most we pay to go to the loo is 30p. We do moan about it but you get really clean toilets . Proper sized cubicles and their washing facilities are next to none.Some even have fresh flowers on the ledges they are a pleasure to use. I agree it is ridiculous that you have to go from one end of the town to the other for a loo. Daffodil
  • Score: 10

2:58pm Sun 20 Jul 14

DP20 says...

Just to disgrace DBC a bit more, I'm sat in a park in South Shields watching a free rock concert with thousands of other people provided by Tyneside council and what DBC ribose sod all bit grief
Just to disgrace DBC a bit more, I'm sat in a park in South Shields watching a free rock concert with thousands of other people provided by Tyneside council and what DBC ribose sod all bit grief DP20
  • Score: 0

2:33am Mon 21 Jul 14

SirLance says...

A market town with no toilets in the central market trading area block! You have to be kidding !! How would visitors to Darlington town center know where the Dolphin center was or what is was? An innocent foreigner translating 'Dolphin center' may assume it to be the heart of a sea creature ? Not what I would want to be messing about with when needing to answer the call of nature after having bought produce at the market! Get real Darlington Council!
A market town with no toilets in the central market trading area block! You have to be kidding !! How would visitors to Darlington town center know where the Dolphin center was or what is was? An innocent foreigner translating 'Dolphin center' may assume it to be the heart of a sea creature ? Not what I would want to be messing about with when needing to answer the call of nature after having bought produce at the market! Get real Darlington Council! SirLance
  • Score: 10

7:19am Mon 21 Jul 14

bambara says...

As always rather more heat than light produced by those with a political agenda.
I can just imagine the howls of protest at the waste of money if the council actually chose to spend £100,000 of council tax money on re-opening and running toilets less than 100 metres from a public building which itself contains toilets free for the use of the public.

The only sensible comment I see is from Lustard who suggested that a sign on the door of the closed toilets saying they are closed but free public toilets are available in the Dolphin centre.
As always rather more heat than light produced by those with a political agenda. I can just imagine the howls of protest at the waste of money if the council actually chose to spend £100,000 of council tax money on re-opening and running toilets less than 100 metres from a public building which itself contains toilets free for the use of the public. The only sensible comment I see is from Lustard who suggested that a sign on the door of the closed toilets saying they are closed but free public toilets are available in the Dolphin centre. bambara
  • Score: 1

7:25am Mon 21 Jul 14

DP20 says...

I see the point of a sign but one set of toilets for a town centre not really attractive for potential shoppers, DBC are spending money like water on stupid pet projects like the roundabout at Stonebridge which won't reduce congestion , but they will cut services and facilities that matter, the town is slowly dying and losing it's identity and heritage and DBC are fundamental in this farce, the town and streets are littered with rubbish yet the cut street clean services and salaries, I would rather be 6 directors down and have 20 more cleaning staff it's common sense
I see the point of a sign but one set of toilets for a town centre not really attractive for potential shoppers, DBC are spending money like water on stupid pet projects like the roundabout at Stonebridge which won't reduce congestion , but they will cut services and facilities that matter, the town is slowly dying and losing it's identity and heritage and DBC are fundamental in this farce, the town and streets are littered with rubbish yet the cut street clean services and salaries, I would rather be 6 directors down and have 20 more cleaning staff it's common sense DP20
  • Score: 12

10:43am Mon 21 Jul 14

DarloXman says...

bambara wrote:
As always rather more heat than light produced by those with a political agenda.
I can just imagine the howls of protest at the waste of money if the council actually chose to spend £100,000 of council tax money on re-opening and running toilets less than 100 metres from a public building which itself contains toilets free for the use of the public.

The only sensible comment I see is from Lustard who suggested that a sign on the door of the closed toilets saying they are closed but free public toilets are available in the Dolphin centre.
If any commentator on this site has a political agenda bambara it it you! You support and defend everything undertaken by the Council - even the indefensible!

Some of us don't lean to the left nor right - we just criticise incompetence, self interest and injustice. Darlington Council happen to be guilty of all three!
[quote][p][bold]bambara[/bold] wrote: As always rather more heat than light produced by those with a political agenda. I can just imagine the howls of protest at the waste of money if the council actually chose to spend £100,000 of council tax money on re-opening and running toilets less than 100 metres from a public building which itself contains toilets free for the use of the public. The only sensible comment I see is from Lustard who suggested that a sign on the door of the closed toilets saying they are closed but free public toilets are available in the Dolphin centre.[/p][/quote]If any commentator on this site has a political agenda bambara it it you! You support and defend everything undertaken by the Council - even the indefensible! Some of us don't lean to the left nor right - we just criticise incompetence, self interest and injustice. Darlington Council happen to be guilty of all three! DarloXman
  • Score: 15

2:04pm Mon 21 Jul 14

railwaygrafter says...

DP20...... Spot on when you think in the 195Os and 196Os Towns and Cities in the North east had excellent clean, well run toilet (and some public bath facilities).. The north east smacks of a third-world country negative mentality and if you urinate in a Public Place you are rightly Fined £2OO but with no Public facilities, you just cannot win. What an example to any Tourist's to the area caught short, not even a Public Toilet. Shocking and disgusting.
DP20...... Spot on when you think in the 195Os and 196Os Towns and Cities in the North east had excellent clean, well run toilet (and some public bath facilities).. The north east smacks of a third-world country negative mentality and if you urinate in a Public Place you are rightly Fined £2OO but with no Public facilities, you just cannot win. What an example to any Tourist's to the area caught short, not even a Public Toilet. Shocking and disgusting. railwaygrafter
  • Score: 8

8:31pm Mon 21 Jul 14

Jonn says...

Why not get a private firm to re open the toilets. Someone like G4S for instance? They could make a huge profit and employ 20 zero contract staff on minimum wage to run it. They could charge everyone an entrance fee, then charge a fee for every sheet of toilet paper you use, then a fee for washing your hands and another fee for drying your hands. They could also recycle the waste water by pumping it up to the High Row water feature.
Why not get a private firm to re open the toilets. Someone like G4S for instance? They could make a huge profit and employ 20 zero contract staff on minimum wage to run it. They could charge everyone an entrance fee, then charge a fee for every sheet of toilet paper you use, then a fee for washing your hands and another fee for drying your hands. They could also recycle the waste water by pumping it up to the High Row water feature. Jonn
  • Score: -3

8:42pm Mon 21 Jul 14

DP20 says...

I used to be proud to tell people I was from the home of railways but what have we got now, a council who are contemptuous of residents and never listen, yes DBC hold their meetings but no matter what they do whT they want....... It's not your bloody money get it into your skulls fgs it's the residents money so start spending it on what they want and reinvigorate this once proud town, DBC seem to do everything to put the place down and make it uninviting, the stadium use it get big bands in, I was at a free rock concert put on by South Tyneside Council in a park half the size of the South Park massive screen great music and a great day had by all why can't DBC do this they have the money (ours) spend it it on the residents and facilities they wNt. It what you think is appropriate for yourselves, next May I hope you all have the sense to get rid of these wasters and get poplin who will stand up for what you pay for and not line their own pockets and then just leave the mess they have spent years creating... Rant over
I used to be proud to tell people I was from the home of railways but what have we got now, a council who are contemptuous of residents and never listen, yes DBC hold their meetings but no matter what they do whT they want....... It's not your bloody money get it into your skulls fgs it's the residents money so start spending it on what they want and reinvigorate this once proud town, DBC seem to do everything to put the place down and make it uninviting, the stadium use it get big bands in, I was at a free rock concert put on by South Tyneside Council in a park half the size of the South Park massive screen great music and a great day had by all why can't DBC do this they have the money (ours) spend it it on the residents and facilities they wNt. It what you think is appropriate for yourselves, next May I hope you all have the sense to get rid of these wasters and get poplin who will stand up for what you pay for and not line their own pockets and then just leave the mess they have spent years creating... Rant over DP20
  • Score: 1

9:02pm Mon 21 Jul 14

LUSTARD says...

oliviaden6 wrote:
Red rose lad wrote:
The Council Chief and numerous Directors/Assistant Directors cost us almost £1.4 Million per annum. The removal of the public toilets isn't the only way they've taken the pi$$.
Agree the council is on the slippery slope to no where in desperation they have systematically run the town into the mire and are still doing so.
The attitude of the Council and it leaders is do as we say not do as we do OH and while your at it up goes the Council tax/More Wheelie bins/ more waste in hair brained schemes, it goes on and on and on. if the good people of Darlington have got any sense they will vote this bunch of pirates and highway me into touch at the soonest opportunity.
its much worse you know, ive just been for a 10 mile cycle ride and i thought, somethings not right, the roads have changed, theirs no view any more, why, the hedges have been deliberately grown another 3 foot higher so the public cant look across the fields to the distant hills pettiness over the hunting ban, brought about by the likes of bill and the gurule tribe. i kid you not.
[quote][p][bold]oliviaden6[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Red rose lad[/bold] wrote: The Council Chief and numerous Directors/Assistant Directors cost us almost £1.4 Million per annum. The removal of the public toilets isn't the only way they've taken the pi$$.[/p][/quote]Agree the council is on the slippery slope to no where in desperation they have systematically run the town into the mire and are still doing so. The attitude of the Council and it leaders is do as we say not do as we do OH and while your at it up goes the Council tax/More Wheelie bins/ more waste in hair brained schemes, it goes on and on and on. if the good people of Darlington have got any sense they will vote this bunch of pirates and highway me into touch at the soonest opportunity.[/p][/quote]its much worse you know, ive just been for a 10 mile cycle ride and i thought, somethings not right, the roads have changed, theirs no view any more, why, the hedges have been deliberately grown another 3 foot higher so the public cant look across the fields to the distant hills pettiness over the hunting ban, brought about by the likes of bill and the gurule tribe. i kid you not. LUSTARD
  • Score: 1

12:27pm Tue 22 Jul 14

loan_star says...

DarloXman wrote:
bambara wrote:
As always rather more heat than light produced by those with a political agenda.
I can just imagine the howls of protest at the waste of money if the council actually chose to spend £100,000 of council tax money on re-opening and running toilets less than 100 metres from a public building which itself contains toilets free for the use of the public.

The only sensible comment I see is from Lustard who suggested that a sign on the door of the closed toilets saying they are closed but free public toilets are available in the Dolphin centre.
If any commentator on this site has a political agenda bambara it it you! You support and defend everything undertaken by the Council - even the indefensible!

Some of us don't lean to the left nor right - we just criticise incompetence, self interest and injustice. Darlington Council happen to be guilty of all three!
To be fair, Bambara did criticise (eventually) the DBC decision to give their execs a £10k pay rise.
However, this is the only time he/she has stepped out of the labour party line and criticised DBC.
[quote][p][bold]DarloXman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bambara[/bold] wrote: As always rather more heat than light produced by those with a political agenda. I can just imagine the howls of protest at the waste of money if the council actually chose to spend £100,000 of council tax money on re-opening and running toilets less than 100 metres from a public building which itself contains toilets free for the use of the public. The only sensible comment I see is from Lustard who suggested that a sign on the door of the closed toilets saying they are closed but free public toilets are available in the Dolphin centre.[/p][/quote]If any commentator on this site has a political agenda bambara it it you! You support and defend everything undertaken by the Council - even the indefensible! Some of us don't lean to the left nor right - we just criticise incompetence, self interest and injustice. Darlington Council happen to be guilty of all three![/p][/quote]To be fair, Bambara did criticise (eventually) the DBC decision to give their execs a £10k pay rise. However, this is the only time he/she has stepped out of the labour party line and criticised DBC. loan_star
  • Score: 1

3:39pm Tue 22 Jul 14

dm1970 says...

loan_star wrote:
DarloXman wrote:
bambara wrote:
As always rather more heat than light produced by those with a political agenda.
I can just imagine the howls of protest at the waste of money if the council actually chose to spend £100,000 of council tax money on re-opening and running toilets less than 100 metres from a public building which itself contains toilets free for the use of the public.

The only sensible comment I see is from Lustard who suggested that a sign on the door of the closed toilets saying they are closed but free public toilets are available in the Dolphin centre.
If any commentator on this site has a political agenda bambara it it you! You support and defend everything undertaken by the Council - even the indefensible!

Some of us don't lean to the left nor right - we just criticise incompetence, self interest and injustice. Darlington Council happen to be guilty of all three!
To be fair, Bambara did criticise (eventually) the DBC decision to give their execs a £10k pay rise.
However, this is the only time he/she has stepped out of the labour party line and criticised DBC.
To be fair Loan star, I don't think people are interested in Bambaras complete bias and political agenda fuelled view.
[quote][p][bold]loan_star[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DarloXman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bambara[/bold] wrote: As always rather more heat than light produced by those with a political agenda. I can just imagine the howls of protest at the waste of money if the council actually chose to spend £100,000 of council tax money on re-opening and running toilets less than 100 metres from a public building which itself contains toilets free for the use of the public. The only sensible comment I see is from Lustard who suggested that a sign on the door of the closed toilets saying they are closed but free public toilets are available in the Dolphin centre.[/p][/quote]If any commentator on this site has a political agenda bambara it it you! You support and defend everything undertaken by the Council - even the indefensible! Some of us don't lean to the left nor right - we just criticise incompetence, self interest and injustice. Darlington Council happen to be guilty of all three![/p][/quote]To be fair, Bambara did criticise (eventually) the DBC decision to give their execs a £10k pay rise. However, this is the only time he/she has stepped out of the labour party line and criticised DBC.[/p][/quote]To be fair Loan star, I don't think people are interested in Bambaras complete bias and political agenda fuelled view. dm1970
  • Score: 3

5:01pm Tue 22 Jul 14

loan_star says...

Agreed!
Agreed! loan_star
  • Score: 2

5:07pm Tue 22 Jul 14

DarloXman says...

LUSTARD wrote:
oliviaden6 wrote:
Red rose lad wrote:
The Council Chief and numerous Directors/Assistant Directors cost us almost £1.4 Million per annum. The removal of the public toilets isn't the only way they've taken the pi$$.
Agree the council is on the slippery slope to no where in desperation they have systematically run the town into the mire and are still doing so.
The attitude of the Council and it leaders is do as we say not do as we do OH and while your at it up goes the Council tax/More Wheelie bins/ more waste in hair brained schemes, it goes on and on and on. if the good people of Darlington have got any sense they will vote this bunch of pirates and highway me into touch at the soonest opportunity.
its much worse you know, ive just been for a 10 mile cycle ride and i thought, somethings not right, the roads have changed, theirs no view any more, why, the hedges have been deliberately grown another 3 foot higher so the public cant look across the fields to the distant hills pettiness over the hunting ban, brought about by the likes of bill and the gurule tribe. i kid you not.
Agreed. Just walked through Middleton St George ealrier today - in places it is not possible to walk on the footpaths due to the overgrown hedges - have to walk on the roads. As well as this, many road signs cannot be seen due to the overgrown hedges- Darlington Council really have abdicated their responsibilities!

At least they can be proud that they've earned their OBEs.
[quote][p][bold]LUSTARD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]oliviaden6[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Red rose lad[/bold] wrote: The Council Chief and numerous Directors/Assistant Directors cost us almost £1.4 Million per annum. The removal of the public toilets isn't the only way they've taken the pi$$.[/p][/quote]Agree the council is on the slippery slope to no where in desperation they have systematically run the town into the mire and are still doing so. The attitude of the Council and it leaders is do as we say not do as we do OH and while your at it up goes the Council tax/More Wheelie bins/ more waste in hair brained schemes, it goes on and on and on. if the good people of Darlington have got any sense they will vote this bunch of pirates and highway me into touch at the soonest opportunity.[/p][/quote]its much worse you know, ive just been for a 10 mile cycle ride and i thought, somethings not right, the roads have changed, theirs no view any more, why, the hedges have been deliberately grown another 3 foot higher so the public cant look across the fields to the distant hills pettiness over the hunting ban, brought about by the likes of bill and the gurule tribe. i kid you not.[/p][/quote]Agreed. Just walked through Middleton St George ealrier today - in places it is not possible to walk on the footpaths due to the overgrown hedges - have to walk on the roads. As well as this, many road signs cannot be seen due to the overgrown hedges- Darlington Council really have abdicated their responsibilities! At least they can be proud that they've earned their OBEs. DarloXman
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Tue 22 Jul 14

DarloXman says...

dm1970 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
DarloXman wrote:
bambara wrote:
As always rather more heat than light produced by those with a political agenda.
I can just imagine the howls of protest at the waste of money if the council actually chose to spend £100,000 of council tax money on re-opening and running toilets less than 100 metres from a public building which itself contains toilets free for the use of the public.

The only sensible comment I see is from Lustard who suggested that a sign on the door of the closed toilets saying they are closed but free public toilets are available in the Dolphin centre.
If any commentator on this site has a political agenda bambara it it you! You support and defend everything undertaken by the Council - even the indefensible!

Some of us don't lean to the left nor right - we just criticise incompetence, self interest and injustice. Darlington Council happen to be guilty of all three!
To be fair, Bambara did criticise (eventually) the DBC decision to give their execs a £10k pay rise.
However, this is the only time he/she has stepped out of the labour party line and criticised DBC.
To be fair Loan star, I don't think people are interested in Bambaras complete bias and political agenda fuelled view.
You're right loan_start - he did! But as dm1970 say's, most of us aren't interested in his biased comment!

My mistake - I did promise not to read bambaras' posts!
[quote][p][bold]dm1970[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loan_star[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DarloXman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bambara[/bold] wrote: As always rather more heat than light produced by those with a political agenda. I can just imagine the howls of protest at the waste of money if the council actually chose to spend £100,000 of council tax money on re-opening and running toilets less than 100 metres from a public building which itself contains toilets free for the use of the public. The only sensible comment I see is from Lustard who suggested that a sign on the door of the closed toilets saying they are closed but free public toilets are available in the Dolphin centre.[/p][/quote]If any commentator on this site has a political agenda bambara it it you! You support and defend everything undertaken by the Council - even the indefensible! Some of us don't lean to the left nor right - we just criticise incompetence, self interest and injustice. Darlington Council happen to be guilty of all three![/p][/quote]To be fair, Bambara did criticise (eventually) the DBC decision to give their execs a £10k pay rise. However, this is the only time he/she has stepped out of the labour party line and criticised DBC.[/p][/quote]To be fair Loan star, I don't think people are interested in Bambaras complete bias and political agenda fuelled view.[/p][/quote]You're right loan_start - he did! But as dm1970 say's, most of us aren't interested in his biased comment! My mistake - I did promise not to read bambaras' posts! DarloXman
  • Score: 0

11:19pm Tue 22 Jul 14

g10001 says...

68k to re-open the toilets -where do they get these figures from ? - If they were drained down as they should have its a very simple and cheap job to re-open them.
Its obvious the council has no intention of re-opening them and blatently lie to the people of Darlington about the costs.

Would Clr Wallis like to explain how much the heartbeat monitor pole nr Binns cost and how much it costs to run I would assume the running costs are low as nobody uses it.Also how much does it cost to keep re-setting steps on high row that nobody wanted - we very rarely see them getting repaired as they sneak out early to fix them when nobody is about !

He also fails to point out that the toilets in the Dolphin are not public toilets but are actally for the Dolphin centre .When this was designed the number of toilets would be a minimum amount for the amount of users of the sports centre not the whole of the Town - The toilets in the Cornmill only open 10am to 4pm and only have 1 cubicle !

How do these people get a job ? as the saying goes "if brains were dynamite they wouldn't have enough to part their hair !
68k to re-open the toilets -where do they get these figures from ? - If they were drained down as they should have its a very simple and cheap job to re-open them. Its obvious the council has no intention of re-opening them and blatently lie to the people of Darlington about the costs. Would Clr Wallis like to explain how much the heartbeat monitor pole nr Binns cost and how much it costs to run I would assume the running costs are low as nobody uses it.Also how much does it cost to keep re-setting steps on high row that nobody wanted - we very rarely see them getting repaired as they sneak out early to fix them when nobody is about ! He also fails to point out that the toilets in the Dolphin are not public toilets but are actally for the Dolphin centre .When this was designed the number of toilets would be a minimum amount for the amount of users of the sports centre not the whole of the Town - The toilets in the Cornmill only open 10am to 4pm and only have 1 cubicle ! How do these people get a job ? as the saying goes "if brains were dynamite they wouldn't have enough to part their hair ! g10001
  • Score: 2

9:54am Wed 23 Jul 14

pager11 says...

Cllr Chris McEwan, cabinet member for economy and regeneration, said: "There's lively debate on this issue, as one would expect, not just in , but out there.

"That's a sign that we've got a good town centre, we want it to be even better and we have got to promote the positives of our town centre."

What on earth is this socialist twit on about! Answers please on a postcard.
Cllr Chris McEwan, cabinet member for economy and regeneration, said: "There's lively debate on this issue, as one would expect, not just in [the council chamber], but out there. "That's a sign that we've got a good town centre, we want it to be even better and we have got to promote the positives of our town centre." What on earth is this socialist twit on about! Answers please on a postcard. pager11
  • Score: 1

10:10am Wed 23 Jul 14

DP20 says...

It shouldn't be a debate anyway, open the toilets fgs you have already cut enough services in the town yet still managed to hike up your earnings, bit strange that, DBC senior staff are not value for money and no other company I know has so many chiefs of nothing and still manage (mismanage) to screw the residents of Darlington, stop wasting time debating and just do what we pay you to do and look after our interests and not to line your own pockets every year it's beyond a joke now DBC the residents the tax payers and the once. An shoppers are going elsewhere, I went to sunderland yesterday totally secure multi storey in the centre £1.50 for the first hour and then 50p an hour after that why can you flow suit, if a big place like sunderland can manage to accomadate shoppers what's your problem, oh yeah and what's the next sevice your cutting, you should have a tombola and you could charge the residents to pick a ticket
It shouldn't be a debate anyway, open the toilets fgs you have already cut enough services in the town yet still managed to hike up your earnings, bit strange that, DBC senior staff are not value for money and no other company I know has so many chiefs of nothing and still manage (mismanage) to screw the residents of Darlington, stop wasting time debating and just do what we pay you to do and look after our interests and not to line your own pockets every year it's beyond a joke now DBC the residents the tax payers and the once. An shoppers are going elsewhere, I went to sunderland yesterday totally secure multi storey in the centre £1.50 for the first hour and then 50p an hour after that why can you flow suit, if a big place like sunderland can manage to accomadate shoppers what's your problem, oh yeah and what's the next sevice your cutting, you should have a tombola and you could charge the residents to pick a ticket DP20
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree