Rugby club to host charity fun day

The Advertiser Series: CHARITY DAY: Mowden coach Danny Brown CHARITY DAY: Mowden coach Danny Brown

A FAMILY fun day at a Darlington rugby club will raise funds for a North-East charity.

Darlington Mowden Park and the National Fostering Agency are hosting the event in aid of Gosforth-based St Oswald's Hospice.

It will be held at The Northern Echo Arena, from 10am to 3pm, on Saturday, August 9.

Visitors can participate in a 'kick for cash' challenge, in which they will get the chance to kick a rugby conversion on the pitch.

Open to all ages and abilities, participants are asked to raise a minimum sponsorship of £20, which will go towards funds raised for the hospice.

There will also be a range of activities for families to enjoy, including a bouncy castle and inflatables, face painting and hook-a-duck for little ones, as well as a climbing wall, touch rugby, and children’s rugby coaching.

Mowden coach Danny Brown said: "The chance to host a day such as this was perfect for the arena and we would like to encourage as many people as possible to attend and enjoy the day, while hopefully raising some much needed money for a great cause.”

If you’d like to take part in the ‘kick for cash’ game, call Neil Morris on 07980-981-576 or email nmorris@nfa.co.uk

Donations can be made online at justgiving.com/NFAKick4Cash

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:50am Wed 23 Jul 14

SirLance says...

Nice of the club to start with a charity fund raising event! However in reality they will need a few dozen more 'family days' for themselves as the financial reports of the running of the clubs 'business strategy' come to light! Someone hasn't tackled the prospect of a sustainable business plan and sadly the 'white elephant' they bought is about to stomp its presence around town again! Overheads mean more than the crossbar lads! An early bath due due sooner rather than later! Why oh why didn't they just find another ground similar to their previous facility at the Mowden Park estate! They kicked for the moon and guess what??
Nice of the club to start with a charity fund raising event! However in reality they will need a few dozen more 'family days' for themselves as the financial reports of the running of the clubs 'business strategy' come to light! Someone hasn't tackled the prospect of a sustainable business plan and sadly the 'white elephant' they bought is about to stomp its presence around town again! Overheads mean more than the crossbar lads! An early bath due due sooner rather than later! Why oh why didn't they just find another ground similar to their previous facility at the Mowden Park estate! They kicked for the moon and guess what?? SirLance
  • Score: 0

8:27pm Wed 23 Jul 14

MowdenIJK says...

Not sure if you've been miss informed Mr Sirlance or if your just trying to spread a little poison.....but the accounts were published and discussed last week and everyone seems pretty happy......place seems to be doing ok, tenants are all happy and things planned for the future. Join up and come see if you have already......I presume you haven't because the place has a real family feel and I can't imagine any of the members would want to be anything less than supportive
Not sure if you've been miss informed Mr Sirlance or if your just trying to spread a little poison.....but the accounts were published and discussed last week and everyone seems pretty happy......place seems to be doing ok, tenants are all happy and things planned for the future. Join up and come see if you have already......I presume you haven't because the place has a real family feel and I can't imagine any of the members would want to be anything less than supportive MowdenIJK
  • Score: 0

9:16pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Whoknowswhat says...

SirLance wrote:
Nice of the club to start with a charity fund raising event! However in reality they will need a few dozen more 'family days' for themselves as the financial reports of the running of the clubs 'business strategy' come to light! Someone hasn't tackled the prospect of a sustainable business plan and sadly the 'white elephant' they bought is about to stomp its presence around town again! Overheads mean more than the crossbar lads! An early bath due due sooner rather than later! Why oh why didn't they just find another ground similar to their previous facility at the Mowden Park estate! They kicked for the moon and guess what??
SirLance, why such a nasty comment on something that has been organised to raise money for charity? Are you envious of the success DMPRFC seems to be generating at the arena? How can you say they haven't tackled the prospect of a sustainable business plan? Your comment regarding overheads and the crossbar lads is drivel, you should get yourself to the club and see what's going on there. There are 19 teams from U6/7's through to U18's (teams of both sexes) Senior men's team in the top 50 teams in the country, Senior ladies team in the top ten teams in the country. Not bad for a club about to turn into a white elephant. You obviously aren't a member but if you are why don't you consider going to another more successful sustainable rugby club. I'm sure you wouldn't be missed by the genuine members who are all working very hard to help to make DMPRFC success both on and off the field.
[quote][p][bold]SirLance[/bold] wrote: Nice of the club to start with a charity fund raising event! However in reality they will need a few dozen more 'family days' for themselves as the financial reports of the running of the clubs 'business strategy' come to light! Someone hasn't tackled the prospect of a sustainable business plan and sadly the 'white elephant' they bought is about to stomp its presence around town again! Overheads mean more than the crossbar lads! An early bath due due sooner rather than later! Why oh why didn't they just find another ground similar to their previous facility at the Mowden Park estate! They kicked for the moon and guess what??[/p][/quote]SirLance, why such a nasty comment on something that has been organised to raise money for charity? Are you envious of the success DMPRFC seems to be generating at the arena? How can you say they haven't tackled the prospect of a sustainable business plan? Your comment regarding overheads and the crossbar lads is drivel, you should get yourself to the club and see what's going on there. There are 19 teams from U6/7's through to U18's (teams of both sexes) Senior men's team in the top 50 teams in the country, Senior ladies team in the top ten teams in the country. Not bad for a club about to turn into a white elephant. You obviously aren't a member but if you are why don't you consider going to another more successful sustainable rugby club. I'm sure you wouldn't be missed by the genuine members who are all working very hard to help to make DMPRFC success both on and off the field. Whoknowswhat
  • Score: 0

2:37am Thu 24 Jul 14

SirLance says...

Whoknowswhat wrote:
SirLance wrote:
Nice of the club to start with a charity fund raising event! However in reality they will need a few dozen more 'family days' for themselves as the financial reports of the running of the clubs 'business strategy' come to light! Someone hasn't tackled the prospect of a sustainable business plan and sadly the 'white elephant' they bought is about to stomp its presence around town again! Overheads mean more than the crossbar lads! An early bath due due sooner rather than later! Why oh why didn't they just find another ground similar to their previous facility at the Mowden Park estate! They kicked for the moon and guess what??
SirLance, why such a nasty comment on something that has been organised to raise money for charity? Are you envious of the success DMPRFC seems to be generating at the arena? How can you say they haven't tackled the prospect of a sustainable business plan? Your comment regarding overheads and the crossbar lads is drivel, you should get yourself to the club and see what's going on there. There are 19 teams from U6/7's through to U18's (teams of both sexes) Senior men's team in the top 50 teams in the country, Senior ladies team in the top ten teams in the country. Not bad for a club about to turn into a white elephant. You obviously aren't a member but if you are why don't you consider going to another more successful sustainable rugby club. I'm sure you wouldn't be missed by the genuine members who are all working very hard to help to make DMPRFC success both on and off the field.
I believe the account statement was published recently! Hence my comments! The charity drive is an excellent effort by the club! kudos to you all! I simply advise that the P&L (Profit and Loss) columns should not make people 'seem happy' If there's more expense going out than profit coming in there's an issue to address! Put as many teams out as you wish, great! The bottom line here is sustainability! Do you illustrate revenue growth in the recent financial report? BTW I was a member when the club was founded as Darlington GSOB , the 'clubhouse' was in Victoria Road near where Sainsbury's now operate ! Oh and you needed your own key to let you in when necessary! You wrote in a book what you consumed and paid when advised! No great overheads there in fact a lot of trust and prudence which then allowed the club to move to Mowden Park. At that ground the overheads were always present and the club went through many tough times! I remember the 'stand ' being built' I actually manually worked on the stand and the clubhouse extension as did a lot of members who realized what it would save on costs! We had a great old groundsman who along with his dog took care of the grass cutting, maintenance and security! What are you paying for that now at this huge 'white elephant' ? Come on lads look at this in reality not as you are doing now 'expanding from principal funding with a poorly thought long term business plan'. Don't throw insults, just acknowledge the facts!
[quote][p][bold]Whoknowswhat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SirLance[/bold] wrote: Nice of the club to start with a charity fund raising event! However in reality they will need a few dozen more 'family days' for themselves as the financial reports of the running of the clubs 'business strategy' come to light! Someone hasn't tackled the prospect of a sustainable business plan and sadly the 'white elephant' they bought is about to stomp its presence around town again! Overheads mean more than the crossbar lads! An early bath due due sooner rather than later! Why oh why didn't they just find another ground similar to their previous facility at the Mowden Park estate! They kicked for the moon and guess what??[/p][/quote]SirLance, why such a nasty comment on something that has been organised to raise money for charity? Are you envious of the success DMPRFC seems to be generating at the arena? How can you say they haven't tackled the prospect of a sustainable business plan? Your comment regarding overheads and the crossbar lads is drivel, you should get yourself to the club and see what's going on there. There are 19 teams from U6/7's through to U18's (teams of both sexes) Senior men's team in the top 50 teams in the country, Senior ladies team in the top ten teams in the country. Not bad for a club about to turn into a white elephant. You obviously aren't a member but if you are why don't you consider going to another more successful sustainable rugby club. I'm sure you wouldn't be missed by the genuine members who are all working very hard to help to make DMPRFC success both on and off the field.[/p][/quote]I believe the account statement was published recently! Hence my comments! The charity drive is an excellent effort by the club! kudos to you all! I simply advise that the P&L (Profit and Loss) columns should not make people 'seem happy' If there's more expense going out than profit coming in there's an issue to address! Put as many teams out as you wish, great! The bottom line here is sustainability! Do you illustrate revenue growth in the recent financial report? BTW I was a member when the club was founded as Darlington GSOB , the 'clubhouse' was in Victoria Road near where Sainsbury's now operate ! Oh and you needed your own key to let you in when necessary! You wrote in a book what you consumed and paid when advised! No great overheads there in fact a lot of trust and prudence which then allowed the club to move to Mowden Park. At that ground the overheads were always present and the club went through many tough times! I remember the 'stand ' being built' I actually manually worked on the stand and the clubhouse extension as did a lot of members who realized what it would save on costs! We had a great old groundsman who along with his dog took care of the grass cutting, maintenance and security! What are you paying for that now at this huge 'white elephant' ? Come on lads look at this in reality not as you are doing now 'expanding from principal funding with a poorly thought long term business plan'. Don't throw insults, just acknowledge the facts! SirLance
  • Score: 0

6:00am Thu 24 Jul 14

MowdenIJK says...

Well SirLance, as the old saying goes, time will tell! It will be obvious if your right as the place will fold very soon, I wonder if you'll have the courage to come on line and apologise for your mischief making in a years time when the place is still going strong? Two years maybe? Or will you quietly come along and enjoy the rugby and atmosphere with everyone else?
Well SirLance, as the old saying goes, time will tell! It will be obvious if your right as the place will fold very soon, I wonder if you'll have the courage to come on line and apologise for your mischief making in a years time when the place is still going strong? Two years maybe? Or will you quietly come along and enjoy the rugby and atmosphere with everyone else? MowdenIJK
  • Score: 0

7:39am Thu 24 Jul 14

SirLance says...

Well done MowdenlJK -- You got something correct at last! 'Time will indeed tell!' I'm not sure how much time however I'm sure my 'mischievous' words of caution will be discussed at the sevens among the clubs 'high and mighty' on August 2nd ? l will listen in on that day!
Well done MowdenlJK -- You got something correct at last! 'Time will indeed tell!' I'm not sure how much time however I'm sure my 'mischievous' words of caution will be discussed at the sevens among the clubs 'high and mighty' on August 2nd ? l will listen in on that day! SirLance
  • Score: 0

9:06am Thu 24 Jul 14

Whoknowswhat says...

SirLance it is heartening that you are pretending to be a long term member, you obviously weren't at the recent AGM and have obviously been misinformed,if you are going to the sevens why don't you go and introduce yourself to the club management I'm sure the Chairman will be there who would be very interested in what you have to say. If you don't want to talk to him speak to any general committee member you should know who they are if you use the club. I'm sure your opinion will be valued. So rather than hiding behind a false name you can demonstrate your concern for the club in person. Otherwise your comments are based on heresay and carry no wieght.
SirLance it is heartening that you are pretending to be a long term member, you obviously weren't at the recent AGM and have obviously been misinformed,if you are going to the sevens why don't you go and introduce yourself to the club management I'm sure the Chairman will be there who would be very interested in what you have to say. If you don't want to talk to him speak to any general committee member you should know who they are if you use the club. I'm sure your opinion will be valued. So rather than hiding behind a false name you can demonstrate your concern for the club in person. Otherwise your comments are based on heresay and carry no wieght. Whoknowswhat
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree