Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting NORTHERN ECHO to 80360 or email us
Arsenal target Cabaye told to play for Magpies
ALAN PARDEW has told Yohan Cabaye to get himself right to face Fulham this Saturday despite conceding there is a “50-50” chance the unsettled midfielder will be leaving Newcastle United.
Cabaye has refused to play in the opening two Premier League fixtures with Manchester City and West Ham United and will not figure in tonight's Capital One Cup tie at Morecambe.
But with Arsenal reluctant to increase the £10m offer which was rejected 11 days ago at St James' Park, the situation looks set to run until Monday's transfer deadline.
And while there is a significant chance Cabaye will be a Newcastle player after the summer transfer window has closed, Pardew has told the Frenchman to prepare himself to face Fulham this weekend.
The 27-year-old could still reject such demands from his manager, although it is already known Newcastle still plan to discipline him for his failure to play in Newcastle's opening games of the season.
But Newcastle would rather keep hold of the unhappy player rather than sell to him for considerably less than their £20m valuation, with Arsenal, Paris St Germain, Tottenham and Manchester United all admirers of him.
Cabaye has three years remaining on the contract he signed when he moved from Lille in a £4.5m deal 24 months ago. Pardew said: “We are (in a strong position). The bottom line is with a world class player, if they move on it has to be world class money.”
He added: “There are a few things that can happen. If you look at the positive side of things, we need to win on Saturday [against Fulham], we need to progress in the cup competition and we need to bring in two players.
“Now if Cabaye goes, and that’s 50-50 in my opinion. If he goes we need to replace him. That would be very settling for me and our fans. On the other side of the coin, we could go out of the cup, we could lose on Saturday and we could fail to bring any new players in. That would be quite unsettling and we’re going to have to work bloody hard.”
Pardew is waiting to hear from director of football Joe Kinnear if there has been any further progress on the recruitment front after a summer of frustration. Lyon's Bafetimbi Gomis and Marseille pair Andre Ayew and Andre-Pierre Gignac are all on the radar, while Lille's Florian Thauvin has been identified as a possible replacement for Cabaye.
Thauvin, long term admired by Newcastle chief scout Graham Carr, has not turned up for training in the hope of finalising a move to either Marseille or the Premier League.
Pardew – who would not comment on Kinnear's claims the pair agreed before the season that the squad was “big enough and strong enough to finish comfortably in the top ten” - would have preferred not to have so much uncertainty surrounding his squad after the start of the campaign.
He said: “I’m feeling OK. I think it’s fairly evident, even before the Cabaye situation, we need to bring at least one or two players in and that hasn’t changed.
“I as the manager have to protect him, and protect this football club more importantly. So the first thing in my agenda is the football club, trust me. That will always come first while I’m the manager here.
“As a manager you want to win the first game. But we won the first game against Tottenham last year and actually that clouded some issues for us. I think our issues are very much open this year.
“We have not hid from them, they are there. We need to get one or two players in, we know that. We need to resolve the Cabaye situation. We need to win a game. Hopefully in the next eight days, most of those will be resolved.”
Newcastle are hoping to return from the Globe Arena tonight with a place in the third round of the Capital One Cup. Since taking over on Tyneside, Pardew's domestic cup record has included defeats to lower league sides Stevenage and Brighton (twice).
That will not alter his thinking tonight, though, when he will hand starts to Sammy Ameobi, Gael Bigirimana and Paul Dummett believing they can contribute to a performance capable of defeating Morecambe.
Pardew said: “I do feel if you carry a squad of 22/23 professional players and you don’t use eight of them, that’s wrong. We have paid something in the region of of £15/16m on young players at this club and they really need to come to the fore now.
“I feel, last year, they didn’t do themselves justice in the Premier League when they played and in the cup competitions. That’s not good enough. If they don’t do it this year, we’ll draw a line under one or two of them. It’s a big game for one or two individuals, who we think are good enough to play in the Premier League, but haven’t shown it.”
One of those is Ameobi. During pre-season the locally produced forward, who was named in the latest England Under-21s squad again yesterday, revealed a belief he had to perform this season or risk being moved on by his hometown club.
Pardew said: “I’m just getting Sammy to focus on his work as a player and he’s doing that. His intelligence and his concentration are improving. It’s OK doing it in training, you’ve got to do it on the day. It was a useful little cameo the other day when he came on against West Ham, but he’s got to do it in a full a game and he’s got to produce.
“I want Sammy to put in a performance on Tuesday night that makes me think what should I do on Saturday. I don’t want players at this football club who aren’t going to contribute on the pitch. I don’t want players who aren’t good enough to carry the shirt.”
Newcastle: Elliot; Debuchy, Williamson, Yanga-Mbiwa, Dummett; Anita, Bigirimana; Marveaux, Gouffran, Sammy Ameobi; Cisse.
Comments are closed on this article.