De Jong in line for Newcastle debut against Sunderland as club decline to appeal Remy red card (From The Advertiser Series)
Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting NORTHERN ECHO to 80360 or email us
De Jong in line for Newcastle debut against Sunderland as club decline to appeal Remy red card
LUUK DE JONG could make his Newcastle United debut in Saturday's Tyne-Wear derby with Sunderland after Alan Pardew confirmed the Magpies would not be appealing Loic Remy's dismissal in last night's 0-0 draw with Norwich City.
And with Yohan Cabaye due to be formally unveiled as a Paris St Germain player later today, Pardew is hoping de Jong will not be Newcastle's only signing before the transfer window closes on Friday.
The Magpies hierarchy have identified Lyon's Clement Grenier as their preferred midfield addition this month, although it is likely to take a bid of more than £15m to secure the 23-year-old ahead of this week's transfer deadline.
De Jong flew into Tyneside yesterday afternoon after agreeing the terms of a season-long loan from Borussia Monchengladbach, and is due to undergo a medical this morning.
Provided there are no unforeseen hitches, he will be registered in time to make the squad for Saturday's derby with Sunderland, and could yet find himself in the starting line-up given that Remy will be starting a three-match ban following last night's sending off.
“We are hoping he will have a medical (today) and come on loan,” said Pardew, who watched his side hit the woodwork on three separate occasions at Carrow Road. “He is a player we really liked when he was in Holland and he scored a lot of goals.
“He went to Germany and it did not quite happen for him, so it is a second opportunity for him and we hope he takes it with us. It is a big stage for him.”
Whether Grenier joins him on Tyneside remains to be seen, but Newcastle are set to table a formal offer for the Lyon academy product within the next 24 hours.
The midfielder, who has won three senior caps for the full French squad, is expected to discuss his future with Lyon officials later today, and while he has not expressed a desire to leave the Stade Gerland, he admits Lyon's president has previously discussed a potential offer for his services this month.
“I have only just learned about (Newcastle's) interest from the press,” said Grenier. “I have no idea what can be said or done at this time. At one point, the president said that if a good offer is made for me this winter, he would look at it.
“I do not know if he received an offer or not, and I'm not at all thinking about it. For the moment, it is not in my head. I have goals with Olympique Lyonnais for the end of the season and I focus on them.”
Having agreed personal terms in Paris yesterday, Cabaye is expected to be unveiled as a PSG player at a press conference later today.
Newcastle are understood to have agreed an initial fee of £20m, with a potential £3m of further add-ons, and Pardew admits the club must use the money wisely as they look to progress.
“Yohan would probably get in my all-time top Newcastle team,” he said. “For us, he was outstanding, and we wish him the very best. I hope our fans do too.
“He wanted to leave, we were honourable to him, and he has got a dream move. We have to use that money wisely now, like we did with Andy Carroll when we brought in Yohan and a couple of others.
“I've been on the phone to the powers that be to say, 'Let's get moving and see what we can get'. We have one or two targets which we had earmarked if he went, and we are chasing those down.”
As if Cabaye's departure was not enough for Pardew to contend with, the Magpies manager must also deal with the fall-out from Remy's dismissal at Carrow Road.
The striker became embroiled in a pushing match with Bradley Johnson, before leaning his head towards the Norwich midfielder. There was no real contact, but Johnson went down, and both players were dismissed.
“There was a bit of pushing and shoving,” said Pardew. “The players have come together, and there is probably just enough for the referee to send them off.
“But Johnson's reaction to the heads meeting, in terms that he got a head-butt when he did not, was the catalyst for them both to get sent off.
“It was his own fault, and if he had not done that, maybe the referee would have taken a more lenient view, but he made such a drama out of it. He should be ashamed of himself really.
“We won't appeal because I think there was enough for Chris (Foy) there. Once he (Johnson) had done that stupid reaction and the crowd went mad, he (Foy) has no choice really.”
Comments are closed on this article.