Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting NORTHERN ECHO to 80360 or email us
FA chief pledges inquiry, while Souness calls for sacking
NEWCASTLE UNITED will not sack Alan Pardew, but the Magpies boss is facing a lengthy ban from the Football Association following Saturday’s bust-up with Hull City midfielder David Meyler.
Pardew was involved in a spectacular incident in the 72nd minute of the Tynesiders’ 4-1 win at the KC Stadium when he pushed his head into Meyler’s chest after the former Sunderland man brushed past him to retrieve the ball on the sideline.
The Magpies manager, who will be charged by the FA today over his conduct, apologised for his actions straight after the game, in which he was forced to watch the rest of proceedings in the stands after being sent from the dugout by referee Kevin Friend.
There were suggestions the incident could cost Pardew his job, but Newcastle reacted swiftly with a statement late on Saturday night, which revealed he had been fined £100,000 and handed a formal warning over his conduct.
The club also revealed it would be “drawing a line under the matter” and would make no further comment, but Pardew is certain to face disciplinary action from the FA, which is likely to include a lengthy stadium ban of at least six games and a hefty fine.
English football’s governing body took similar action against former Blackpool manager Paul Ince, who was handed a five-match stadium ban after violently shoving fourth official Mark Pottage in an expletive-laden rant during his side’s 2-1 win over Bournemouth.
FA chairman Greg Dyke confirmed on Saturday evening the incident would be looked at. “I’ve only just seen the clip and clearly it looks serious and we will investigate it,” Dyke said. “I can’t really say anything else at this stage.”
While there is no precedence for a situation like this, Pardew has a number of previous misdemeanours and has already been warned by the FA over his future conduct.
The Magpies boss was handed a £20,000 fine and a twomatch touchline ban after shoving linesman Peter Kirkup on the opening day of the season, while he got off with a warning for his foul-mouthed rant at Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini in January.
He was also involved in spats with Martin O’Neill and Arsene Wenger during his Newcastle and West Ham reigns respectively and the FA is expected to make an example of Pardew.
League Managers’ Association chief executive Richard Bevan, who handed Pardew the Manager of the Year award two seasons ago for guiding the Magpies to a fifth-place finish, also condemned his actions.
He said: “It’s unacceptable, it’s inappropriate and it’s insupportable from every perspective and Alan knows that.
“He immediately realised the serious error, (made) sincere apologies to all parties and obviously (has) deep regret.
“It was good to see (Hull boss) Steve Bruce’s reaction and Hull accepting (Pardew’s apology).
“But Alan does need to think hard about how not to put himself in that position again.”
Former Newcastle manager Graeme Souness and captain Alan Shearer were both pundits on beIN Sports’ coverage of the game with the former insisting Pardew should be sacked over the incident.
“That is a sackable offence.
I’ve been frustrated and upset by a number of things, but I’ve never gone down that road.
“Pardew has a track record of confronting people – he is extremely passionate, but this passion this time has gone too far.”
While Pardew appears to have escaped further punishment from Newcastle, the Magpies boss responded to Souness’ comments and admitted he was disappointed in himself.
“It’s a bit strong coming from him (Souness),” said Pardew, whose side won 4-1 thanks to a brace from Moussa Sissoko and goals from Loic Remy and Vurnon Anita.
“You know, he’s the man who took a flag and planted it in the middle of a derby situation, so coming from him it’s a bit harsh. But people have their own opinions, I can’t do anything about that.
“Well of course I am (disappointing in myself), yeah, of course. Being in the incident, right on top of it, I shouldn’t have been there.
“The player has obviously got involved with me and I should not have done that.
“I think when I had the push with the linesman, I thought that then at that time perhaps I should sit down.
“But sometimes, you know, you just want to be involved and I’ve always been involved by being on the sideline.
“But I don’t think it can harm my management to sit there, and maybe I’m at an age now where perhaps I need to.”
Unfortunately for Newcastle, a comprehensive away win will be overlooked by Pardew’s touchline theatrics, but Pardew insisted his players had not been affected by the incident.
He said: “The mood is very strong with the players because they’ve had a great performance.
They probably haven’t absorbed too much of what I did. They’ve seen me go and that would have been it, they would have just got on with the game.”