Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting NORTHERN ECHO to 80360 or email us
Magpies wait on striker while Cats consider second defender bid
Updated 1:00pm Monday 16th June 2014 in Sport
NEWCASTLE UNITED are set to find out whether German striker Pierre-Michel Lasogga will join the club this week, but their attempts to land a replacement for Yohan Cabaye received another blow over the weekend.
Despite securing the signatures of Ayoze Perez and Jack Colback, the Magpies have so far been frustrated in their attempts to land a couple of senior strikers and a creative midfielder.
It is understood the club has held talks with Under-21 international Lasogga, who impressed while on loan at Hamburg from fellow Bundesliga side Hertha Berlin last season, but both German clubs also want to striker and Hertha general manager Michael Preetz revealed the 22-year-old will make a decision this week.
He said: “It is only about three clubs; Hertha, Hamburg or Newcastle.”
Newcastle have already been told to forget about signing Montpellier’s France international Remy Cabella unless they are willing to shell out £12m, while it seems the club will also have to pay big bucks in order to land Lyon’s Clement Grenier.
The Magpies had a bid understood to be in the region of £7m rejected for Grenier in January and Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas is not willing to let the 23-year-old leave on the cheap.
Meanwhile, Sunderland are ready to increase their offer for Swansea City defender Ashley Williams.
The Black Cats saw an initial £4m bid rejected last week, but it is understood they will return with an improved offer as Gus Poyet attempts to strengthen his squad.
Williams, who is about to enter the last 12 months of his current deal at the Liberty Stadium, has indicated he is happy in South Wales despite interest from elsewhere, but the centre-back is holding out for a new, improved contract offer from the Swansea, which is yet to materialise.
Meanwhile, Adam Johnson has emerged as a potential target of French club AS Monaco.
It is understood the Black Cats are willing to allow Johnson to leave this summer to ease their wage bill and the Ligue 1 outfit are reportedly ready to offer £7m for his services. Liverpool and Everton are also monitoring the midfielder’s situation on Wearside.