Send us your pictures, video, news and views by texting NORTHERN ECHO to 80360 or email us
US defender Besler is Cats’ American dream
AMERICAN World Cup defender Matt Besler wants his future sorted this month after learning Sunderland are trying to land him.
The 27-year-old impressed for the United States at the World Cup and has caught the eye of a number of clubs in England and across Europe.
But he is in no rush to leave Sporting Kansas City, so has urged his employers to make up their mind whether they are going to offload him so he can get on with the rest of his summer.
The Black Cats are looking for a centre-back to challenge Wes Brown and John O’Shea and they hit a wall in their attempts to persuade Swansea City to sell Ashley Williams on the cheap.
Williams was never keen on leaving the Liberty Stadium, so Poyet has had to explore alternatives and the Major League Soccer player is one that has interested him.
Sunderland can buy the defender for around £3m, but know they will have to act fast or run the risk of getting into a bidding war following his World Cup exertions in Brazil where he helped the USA to the last-16 by playing in all four matches.
Besler said: “I know that Fulham have offered to Kansas City and I know that Sunderland put in an offer or are putting in an offer. We’re trying to get something done as soon as possible.
“It’s a situation which needs to get resolved. I want to be staying in Kansas City if I’m going to stay. But if they’re going to sell me then I want to know as soon as possible. It’s not just my decision, it’s the club’s if they want to sell me or not. But I would definitely have an input in a team.”
After starting the summer by landing three free agents – Costel Pantilimon, Jordi Gomez and Billy Jones – Sunderland boss Gustavo Poyet is having to be patient in his attempts to add more new faces.
The Black Cats need reinforcements in a number of areas and are working hard to bring Marcos Alonso back to the Stadium of Light, although Fiorentina are not willing to let him go on the cheap.
Sunderland could soon have an extra bit of cash to spend in the transfer market if they can offload Senegalese midfielder Alfred N’Diaye. The 24-year-old has been back on the training ground at the Academy of Light for preseason, but Real Betis are in talks to sign him permanently.
N’Diaye is keen to return to the Spain to play in the Spanish Second Division and Betis, where he was on loan, are trying to persuade Sunderland to accept £1.5m – which is £2.2m less than they paid for him in January last year.
The Spanish club’s technical secretary Alexis Trujillo said: “We have made approaches and we talked to him before he left last season and now there have been other approaches. There may be a possibility.
“It’s a move we would like and we are trying to square.
What we know is that he was pretty good here and Betis is a team he likes. I understand it is possible and he is willing to accept playing in the Second Division.”
- Sunderland’s home game with Everton, originally due to take place on Saturday, November 8, will now take place on Sunday, November 9, 1.30pm kick-off because of the Toffees’ involvement in the Europa League.
In February, the visit of QPR was scheduled to take place on Wednesday, February 11, but will now take place 24 hours earlier on Tuesday, February 10.